by Phyllis Ducey
pfdoriginalartworks


In the United States we celebrate Thanksgiving this week. I like this holiday because it is not weeks of preparation and if you take the time, it is a wonderful time to reflect on all that you have. I like the idea of having a day to stimulate thought, though quite honestly in the U.S. I think most of us dwell on the menu and less on what we have to be thankful for. God commands us many times to be thankful or to have a sense of thanksgiving in everything... good or bad. He tells us that we will receive peace when we are thankful!
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil 4:6-7
This verse comforts me because it reminds me that God commands us not to be anxious. He is big enough to handle it all! But the reality is that I am a control freak and want to have it handled my way so instead of trusting God, I hold tight telling Him how it should be resolved. When I do this I begin stressing and becoming overwhelmed with life. Is that sin? I don't know but I do know it is not how God wants us to live.
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Col 3:15
Trusting God, letting His peace rule within and letting go is what I am constantly striving to do. I found that at night as I start to fall asleep I can visualize in my mind taking the issue and handing it over to Christ. I state what it is and lay it as a package for Him to deliver the results. When I am done, I fall asleep... more and more I drift off prior to finishing my prayer list because I know He can handle it better than I can. And I know He knows what is weighing on my heart and those I pray for.

In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly. Psalm 5:3
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. Col 4:2
I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. Psalm 40:1
Waiting expectantly. I find that when I choose to do that - to be patient and watch and wait - the Lord answers my prayer in ways I could never imagine. So much better than what I would have told Him to do. This is always a work in progress for me. I still find myself explaining a situation (like He did not know all its details?) and stating what I think may work the best... then oops, I realize that is not what I should do so I quickly add "but Your will be done." Like that last tag along line is me giving it all over to Him?

It is the times when I am in prayer and dwell on who and how great our God really is rather than how big my problems really are that I truly am permeated with that peace. It is such a sweet peace... it truly is the peace that surpasses all understanding.
Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe Heb 12:28

If you have not felt that peace or if you haven't felt it recently, I challenge you to minimize your requests and maximize your God. Take your prayer time and spend a minimum of the first half of it dwelling on the greatness of your God and thanking Him for everything in your life and the world He created for us. Then wrap the rest of the requests in a package and lay it at His feet... trust... wait and watch. God is faithful and answers prayer!

So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord,continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. Col 2:6-8

Have a blessed and wonderful Thanksgiving!

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Here are some ways to express your thankfulness to others. Please take some time to check out these shops and how about making it an Etsy Christmas giving time?




Thank you cards by eyeletsagestudio












Season of love small ornament
by elenaseasel















Family tree pendant by SissyPretties
















Comments (11)

On November 21, 2010 at 10:45 PM , Burlap and Vine said...

What a lovely devotion.
I love the verses from Philippians 4:6&7.
Prayer will do a great deal more than worrying will ever do.
Thankyou also for featuring the wall print.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

 
On November 22, 2010 at 3:37 AM , Anonymous said...

I pray you have a blessed Thanksgiving. Thanks so much for featuring my ACEO card.
Blessings
Celia

 
On November 22, 2010 at 5:38 AM , myeuropeantouch said...

Give thanks with a greatful heart...a hymn is what I am thinking of.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on being thankful.
Monika

 
On November 22, 2010 at 7:02 AM , Unknown said...

Great group of scriptures -- I love Col 2:6:8.

 
On November 22, 2010 at 7:23 AM , watercolors said...

Phyllis, what a beautiful visual of wrapping up our cars and laying at his feet...love it.
That can certainly be of help.
God Bless and Happy Thanksgiving.
Roxanne

 
On November 22, 2010 at 8:42 AM , Zuda said...

Wonderful post, Phyllis! Thank you so much for sharing with us! Lovely selections. Happy Thanksgiving!

 
On November 22, 2010 at 8:50 AM , MYSAVIOR said...

What an awesome realization! We can give it to God!

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On November 22, 2010 at 9:36 AM , circleinthesand said...

What a wonderful blog!!! A message that we all need to take to heart! Thank you for featuring my little Bird Tags!!

 
On November 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM , Judi said...

How wonderful! Such a blessing to read!

 
On November 22, 2010 at 1:37 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Thanks, Phyllis, for reminding us what this week is really about. Great items. I am thankful for you and this team!

 
On November 22, 2010 at 2:58 PM , Tricia said...

Is this not an awesome post! I thank you for your wonderful words of wisdom and truth Phyllis. We serve an awesome God who continually gives .... so we should be thankful always! ♥♥♥♥♥♥