by Phyllis Ducey
pfdoriginalartworks




We are so privileged in the USA to be able to carry our Bibles with us and to freely study them. In my house we may have 12 to 15 Bibles in various places. Periodically we get a new favorite. Right now my husband and I are reading through a Chronological Bible in the New International Translation format. It has a very interesting lay out but is not my favorite Bible. I am sure some of you are like me and have one special one… it is underlined, written in, marked up and has a few torn pages with a raggedy cover from being used and tossed around so much. My current favorite has big print which makes it easy to read. My friends all called me old when I got it and laughed at me. Since then several have picked up one too. (Then I laugh at them.)

I have lost count but think that I have probably read the Bible cover to cover 7 to 8 times. Some chapters (such as Ephesians) I have read dozens of times. I only share this because I really take to heart the following verse which tells me to write God’s word on my heart.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers, but his delight is in the law of the Lord and on his law he meditates day and night."
Psalm 1:1-3

My big frustration is how am I to write it on my heart if I can’t memorize it? You’d think by now I would have huge chunks of the Bible memorized… do I? No! I try and try. I have memorized:
"the thief comes to steal kill and destroy but I have come to bring you life and bring it abundantly."
John 10:10
I never tried to memorize that, I just had a pastor 15 plus years ago who used that verse so much it never left me so it has stuck. Or so I thought... even that I don't have exactly right. The end of the verse should be:
"I have come that they may have life, and they might have it more abundantly."

Psalm 19 is one of my favorite Psalms (of course how can you even choose one over the other … each is such a work of art?) that I did try to memorize. I have literally memorized it beginning to end at the very least 3 times. I even had it successfully memorized each time for a full month. Could I recite it to you now? No… well, maybe the first 2 verses.

Oh how I wish I had a decent memory!

I worry sometimes that there will be a day when we no longer are able to have the freedom to carry our Bibles or maybe not be free to read them. There are countries even today where people are persecuted if they are caught with one. If that day comes I want to have it in my heart where no one can take it away from me.

Though this memory of mine struggles greatly, one thing that has been a comfort to me is that I have found is that when I need a verse God seems to just pop it into my mind…whew!
But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect
1 Peter 3:15
That is another reason I read daily so that I may be so saturated in the God's words that it oozes out of me. And I want to be prepared to give a witness at all times. And (as if that was not enough) it encourages me as I continue to learn how much God loves me.

Some call the Bible a an old archaic book, some call it a fairy tale, some call it a love letter from God while others call it an instruction manual for daily living. (My son-in-law calls it a weapon of mass instruction.) Whatever you choose to call it... it is an incredibly precious gift from God not to be ignored or taken lightly or left to collect dust... and I love it!

BTW, what do you call it?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Once again I have selected some great shops for you to check out and give them a heart. Keep in mind there is only 4 months and 2 days until Christmas!!






Daffodils on the Table
by TheOldPostRoad






Garden of the Gods by sbradney





Garnet Necklace by MossflowerWoods





Scripture Art by lifeverse






Vintage Brooch by SweetWhimsyVintage






Tree platter by littlebearclayworks




Prayer beads by PrayerworksStudio



Psalm 19:1 Folk Art by mulberrylanefolkart

Comments (7)

On August 23, 2010 at 1:38 AM , Art and Sew Forth said...

Oh boy-what a reminder! I was so diligent to memorize when my kids were all young,but I have gotten away from it now. Thanks for the reminder. I need to start again-in fact I will start tomorrow! Thank you!

Love those daffodils!

 
On August 23, 2010 at 10:37 AM , MYSAVIOR said...

I love starting my week with your posts, Phyllis.
I call my Bible - THE Word.
Memorizing is a problem for me but I know that it is in my brain somewhere and like you, comes out when it needs to.

Thank You!
♥♥♥
Sue

 
On August 23, 2010 at 11:19 AM , Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this! I read the Bible through each read. Have been reading it since I could read! yet, I am amazed at how little I have memorized! I am seeking to hide it in my heart, and teach it to my children. We memorize verses together each week. It is very important to have the Word of God in our hearts, and as the light to our steps!
Great shops!
Christie (luvncrafts)

 
On August 23, 2010 at 3:53 PM , Unknown said...

It is my roadmap!

 
On August 23, 2010 at 8:46 PM , Miranda's Place said...

Phyllis, it is hard to memorize the bible. Our Pastor gives us a verse every Wednesday Night at Bible Study and I have only memorized 1, 2Corinthians 4:18. Your post also made me think about the movie Book of Eli. I thought it was amazing how he knew every word of the bible enough to recite it back so a new one could be printed. Will I ever be like Eli?

 
On August 24, 2010 at 12:03 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Oh Phyllis, if I could write (which I can't), I could have written this post. Sounds just like me right down to the pastor who continually repeats John 10:10 (that pastor wouldn't happen to be named Kevin would he?). I've finally "almost" given up memorizing, with my brain like a sieve, and now make it a priority to be familiar enough with the Bible that I can find what I'm looking for quickly.

 
On August 26, 2010 at 11:37 PM , Sherri Ward said...

I call the Bible my daily comfort and encouragement! I, too, have not done much actual memorization and didn't find it to last long word for word when I did - but I have been through it cover to cover several times, and much of it I've read and read and read! Thanks for sharing!