a poem by Helen Orombi of Elegantcrochets

Pausing at the entrance of the room
my eyes lock only to his
Waiting for an indication
A sign …of consent.
Gingerly I steps in
Oblivious to the gasp
To the scowl
And to the jeer.
Tenderly I lifted my vase of alabaster perfume
Cradling it in my palm like a newborn baby.
Waiting still for an indication.
Fearing I might drop the vase and shatter the silence
I grasp even tighter to the vase
Knuckles white,
Beads of sweat forming on my brow.
Then he smiled again
Exhaling with relief
I knelt by his side
ours eyes still locked
Traces of the smile still on his face
I shattered the silence as I broke the bottle
More gasps
More scowls
More jeers.
Oblivious I poured the oil
And combed my fingers through his hair
Like a lover to her beloved
For to me, he was.
Love scene!
Some eyes averted
Some eyes glaring
Some eye approving
But I was oblivious to it all.
Then I stood.
And as I did my eyes drifted to those present
And it dawned on me,
My mind began to race
My eyes drunk in the scene
I staggered…
I felt like I was in the middle of a nightmare you know the kind that you cant wake up from?
And I heard one of the men say
Why was the ointment wasted this way?
The money could have been sold for three hundred denarii and the money given to the poor.

And he spoke
He actually stood up for me
No one in my entire life has even done that
My skin my look as tough as an elephant
But inside I am really timid and insecure.

He had this distinctively calm but authoritative voice
Looking around the table he said

Let her alone; why do you trouble her
Then looking at me with eyes full of tenderness he said

You have performed a good service for me.
Then looking around at the others again he said

You will always have the poor with you, and you can show kindness to them whenever you wish; but you will not always have me.
This lady here has done what she could; she has anointed my body before burial.
And you can be sure that wherever the good news is proclaimed in the whole world what she has done will be told in remembrance of her.

Can you imagine that, he said all that about me?
He stood up for me, I am actually worth it. All these years I didn’t think I mattered. Now I know I actually matter.

I never left his side ever since.
And can you imagine when he rose from the dead guess who saw him first.

You are catching on I can see.
Well I have to go now, I am still in business you know, I still have some clients to see, but not the same kind. He changed my life this Jesus fella, he can do the same for you if you let. I don’t know what your story, hopes and dreams are, but this Jesus, he can handle.

Well, it was nice talking to you all and thanks for listening to my story people are so busy now a days.
By Helen Orombi used in Chapel April 6th 2006

 Helen modeling one of her designs

Comments (9)

On April 18, 2010 at 12:21 PM , Princess Daffy said...

Beautiful, blessed Mary Magdalena...

She recognized the Savior and gave her heart.

Thank you Helen, for reminding us that no matter where we are in life, Jesus accepts and loves us.

He is always waiting to welcome hearts into the family of Christ!

xox, Daffy

 
On April 18, 2010 at 12:54 PM , Elegantcrochets said...

You are welcome Daffy... thanks for your comment!

 
On April 18, 2010 at 12:59 PM , pfd said...

Helen, that was beautiful and so wonderfully sweet to put Mary Magdalene's story in a context that we could relate to. Thank you!

 
On April 18, 2010 at 2:18 PM , Trish said...

Beautiful! The message is so clear. Jesus will stand up for us through thick & thin. Thank you for the reminder!

 
On April 18, 2010 at 5:13 PM , P and P said...

I really enjoyed reading your poem. That Jesus would actually look and me and give permission to approach...

 
On April 18, 2010 at 5:17 PM , sammysgrammy said...

So beautifuly put. Takes that precious event and brings it right up close and personal.

 
On April 18, 2010 at 8:05 PM , Beantree Designs said...

Helen, what a wonderful way to voice the story, as Phyllis said it puts in in a way that makes it real.
Thank you.

 
On April 19, 2010 at 12:59 AM , Kathleen said...

Really touched my heart! Thanks for sharing =)

 
On April 19, 2010 at 4:18 AM , Julie Riisnaes said...

Lovely and touching! He deserves the kind of love that ignores the jeers of others - after all thats what he gave me!