Many Mother’s Days ago I was asked to speak about what an honor it is to be a mother. At the time my oldest was entering her twenties. I had to stop and think. Was it an honor to be a mother and if so why?


I kind of pouted back then because I thought I should be honored not state why I was honored to be a mom! But God has His way of bringing my thinking around when I allow Him. So with a little nudging from the Lord, I started thinking of all that I’ve learned from my mother and my sweet mother-in-law. Also I thought of how they had affected, even changed my life for the better. So I decided to apply that same concept to why it was an honor to be a mother. How had my children taught me? How had they affected and changed my life?

The following are my thoughts and answers to those questions some 16 or 17 years ago.
______________________________

I can’t think of any way my children have not affected my life!

When they were young…

I learned the first time little feet step on the grass – it tickles!
And dandelions are wonders that turn noses yellow, make great bouquets in paper cups, and stimulate the imagination as you blow wishes into the wind.
I learned toddlers are always at their crankiest when you are preparing dinner or when you want them to be at their very best.
I’ve learned when my Jeni was in the hospital, when I had barely six hours sleep in four days, I could still function.
As my children grew…

I learned that no matter what age they were, they have hidden radar that activates the minute I pick up the phone!
AND at that minute they always have some question of great importance that needs immediate attention.
I learned kisses only made little hurts better, big cuts need more time, more care. The real hurts are not external but cut deep within, often to the soul.
And I learned they can be easily missed.
I’ve learned to be assertive and speak up for my children when they couldn’t. And now I’m learning to allow them to speak for themselves.
With that I’m learning to listen. This is a hard one to learn, for it seems when I want to listen, they are not in the mood to talk. But often they get the gift of gab when I’m not in a listening mode.
Now as they are reaching adulthood…

I’ve learned the pain of them separating from me to become their own person.
And with that I’ve learned the joy of watching them blossom into unique individuals.
After twenty years of motherhood, I’ve learned that I’m not the perfect mom I set out to be. I’ve made many mistakes. Some I’ve learned from, others I don’t even know about yet.
I think back to almost twenty years ago… of holding my Jeni in my arms and I knew then what an incredible God we have. I could see His handiwork in her beauty. Then two years later, I was reminded again as I held the tiny fingers of my little Daniel.

And as I thought about holding them in my arms – gifts entrusted to me by God…

I learned that my arms were not strong enough to hold them.
I learned one day they would out grow them. And one day when they got hurt, they may not choose to seek my loving arms to comfort them.
But I learned God’s arms are strong and would always be there for them!
So the greatest and probably the hardest thing that Ive learned was to give the gifts that God had given me back to Him.
Yes, to me, it is an honor to be a mother…
It is an honor to have received three such wonderful gifts: the gift of Jeni; the gift of Daniel; and the gift of growing in trust and knowledge of our awesome God who has created each one of us.
_____________________________

With Mother's Day less than a week a way, I rifled through my archives to find this. As I retyped it my eyes started to well with tears at how true these words are to my life today as they were back then. I am now honored to be the mother of not only Jeni & Daniel but the mother-in law to a wonderful man. I also am honored to be the grandmother of five beautiful children.

Believe it or not... It still has not stopped!

I am still learning and I feel that there is value to me sharing my wealth of knowledge with you. I usually don't focus on food but my 3 1/2 yr old and 2 year old granddaughters have taught me that there is another valuable use for yogurt. If you have wood floors and paint the floors with the yogurt when your mom is busy, you can create an awesome slip 'n slide!

God is good... Let us all praise Him for His wonders!!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

by Phyllis Ducey
pfdoriginalartworks


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Speaking of wonders... Here are some wonderful CAST Team shops. Started going with a theme but decided to do random picks... hopefully you will take time to visit, heart and cart!










Comments (12)

On May 3, 2010 at 1:02 AM , Lizzi said...

What a beautiful post. I don't have children, but I do realize that the older I get the more I appreciate my mom, and all those other good moms out there. Where would we be without them? This was a different view of mothers day, I liked it.

 
On May 3, 2010 at 1:03 AM , pfd said...

For anyone who may be wondering the children at the top are my 3 oldest grandchildren (beautiful, aren't they?). I took the pictures Saturday and they would not hold still, they loved rolling in the grass & collecting the dandelions!

 
On May 3, 2010 at 5:11 AM , sacra vim said...

Love this, Phyllis - thank you!

 
On May 3, 2010 at 8:16 AM , Sarah said...

Thanks for the lovely message.
Being a mom is a gift and a miracle, no matter how motherhood comes...biologically or through adoption.

Beautiful words and thoughts!
Thanks for sharing this today!
Sarah
BluebirdHandmadeBags

 
On May 3, 2010 at 10:00 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Awesome, Phyllis. Thanks for bringing so much artistry to your blog posts and for gifting us with your writing talent.

I love the photo collage in sepia and that quote from Luke. I may have to use that quote in a blog post this week. Funny how sometimes certain verses keep popping up everywhere you look. You know God wants you to take note when they do. Thanks for letting God use you to speak to me in that way.

 
On May 3, 2010 at 10:57 AM , Anonymous said...

Thanks for featuring my sweet grandaughter and her headband. I've also learned from my children how much God must love us. When I would watch them sleep at night after a rough day. My heart would break and I would always say to myself, " Tomorrow will be a better day. I'll be more patient. My words will be kinder. I'll do more fun things with them tomorrow.
Well tomorrow came and went. My children are all married and have given us precious grandchildren. As much as I love my children and grandchildren, God's love for us is a zillion times more pure and powerful. Would I or would you give any of your children to die for a sinful world that wants nothing to do with the sacrifice of our children? I have to be honest and say, I don't think I would. That is how much He loves us. Thank you Father. Thank you Jesus. Thank you Holy Spirit.

 
On May 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM , Vicki said...

Phyllis, God has blessed you with a wonderful gift of writing and speaking your heart in words. Thank you for another lovely post that not only touched my heart but made me think about what I have learned as a mother. ♥

 
On May 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM , Art and Sew Forth said...

A complete joy to read! I echo your sentiments as I have had so many of the same experiences with my 7. Being a Mother is by FAR the most precious gift God has bestowed on me! Thank you!!

 
On May 3, 2010 at 1:23 PM , sammysgrammy said...

I so appreciate how you "see" things Phyllis and the wonderful talent the Lord has invested in you to illustrate with words. His investment is paying off in kingdom currency because so may of us are delighted, instructed, had our eyes opened, blessed, etc.,when you post.

What an awesome privilege it is to have been lent these wee ones to raise up for the Lord and then to be able to see that exponentially multiply with grandchildren and great grandchildren....

 
On May 3, 2010 at 5:52 PM , Jan said...

Thank you Phyllis for sharing from your heart so beautifully. I was nodding my head in agreement with you as I was reading...you put to words exactly what I've been feeling.
Thank you for using your God given gifts to bless and encourage others.
Hugs...

 
On May 3, 2010 at 9:40 PM , GreenTrunk said...

Lovely posting.

 
On May 5, 2010 at 8:20 AM , Julie Riisnaes said...

Thank you for such a wonderful post! My eldest is now 27 and so much of what you say rings totally true! Praise God for his amazing gifts!