by Rita of sammysgrammy



Pasta Piselli (Pasta and Peas)


This meal is very simple, fast, economical and satisfying. It can be prepared for two people to twenty by simply adjusting the amounts. I’m going to give you the amounts for a four serving meal.


3/4 pound of bowtie pasta, cooked according to package directions.

As you set the pasta water on the stove to bring to a boil, begin to prepare the “condiment”*.

Brown about 4 oz. of chopped pancetta or bacon over medium heat in a 12 inch fry pan. As the meat is browning, add 1 small chopped onion, cook until just beginning to brown. Remove the fry pan from the heat until the pasta is done. When the pasta is done, put the fry pan back on the heat.

Just before removing the pasta from the boiling water, add 1 cup of fresh or frozen peas to the water.**

Remove the pasta and peas from the water (reserve the water) with a “spider” and add immediately to the condiment. Heat all ingredients together for a couple minutes, stirring to incorporate.

Add about ¼ cup of the pasta water to the pasta in the fry pan, so your presentation will be a bit more juicy.

Remove the pasta into a serving dish. I garnish with a tablespoon or 2 of extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkle with fresh chopped Italian parsley.

Each diner may add a sprinkling of Romano or Parmesan cheese and then………….Mangia!!

*Condiment is the dressing or sauce for the pasta.

**We just want to barely cook the peas. We want them nice and plump and green.



A Bible Verse for this economical recipe:

Proverbs 31: 17-19 in the New Living Translation

vs. 17 - she is energetic and strong, a hard worker
vs. 18 - she watches for bargains; her lights burn late into the night
vs. 19 - her hands are busy spinning thread, her fingers twisting fiber NLT


by Rita of sammysgrammy

Comments (11)

On May 6, 2010 at 10:27 AM , My 7th Heaven said...

YUM! Looks great!

~Anastasia

 
On May 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Rita's last recipe was so good I ended up making it twice last month. I'm putting ingredients for this one on my shopping list right now!

 
On May 6, 2010 at 11:23 AM , Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

This looks so good! Thank you for sharing! :)

 
On May 6, 2010 at 11:53 AM , sweetybird09 said...

I am going to make it this week, I am always looking for economical meals...wow look out Rachael Ray here comes Rita!!!!!!

Thanks

Joyce

 
On May 6, 2010 at 12:18 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

I love bowtie pasta - what a delicious recipe - thank you!

♥♥♥

 
On May 6, 2010 at 2:21 PM , Katie said...

Mmm, Rita, our landlady made us something that looked very much like this when my hubs and I were living in Italy. I had forgotten all about it until I saw this! I'll have to give it a try.

Katie

 
On May 6, 2010 at 2:28 PM , Vicki said...

Sounds quick and easy. DH loves peas and pasta so I'm sure I'll be making this a lot. Thanks for sharing!

 
On May 6, 2010 at 6:26 PM , pfd said...

Great recipe, quick and easy are always the best. I can almost smell it! Also I like the verse you picked to go with it. Thanks Rita

 
On May 6, 2010 at 8:50 PM , Deb (Two Cheeky Monkeys) said...

Oh yum Rita! My kids would love this recipe for sure (they're big fans of peas and pasta, LOL).

Thanks too for your verse choice from Proverbs 31 - I was recently challenged by this passage in my quiet times and it was nice to see a reminder today.

 
On May 11, 2010 at 11:01 PM , Sue Runyon said...

I made this tonight and it was so good and so easy! Definitely keeping this recipe!

 
On May 13, 2010 at 8:12 PM , J Honda said...

Yum!! Will try this recipe - your recipes are so easy to understand - thank you Rita!!