AmenPrintables
I am a terrible singer. When I say that, people try to minimize that statement telling me they are sure I am no worse than most or that I am being overly critical of myself.  But I know it is not just being overly critical... I sing horribly.  After so many years at church, singing the worship songs I began thinking I was getting the hang of it.  I always close my eyes when I sing and try to focus on the Lord through the music.  The day I thought I could somewhat sing, I decided I could harmonize with the worship team.  I was fairly pleased with what was coming out of my mouth when I opened my eyes and saw two children holding their ears in front of me.  No, it was not a coincidence... they were giving sidewards glances of disgust!  I have not belted a song out since.But I still love to sing to the Lord (I do so quietly now). 

Olive Garden - heart
Recently I was singing (very timidly) with my eyes closed meditating on what it would be like to be at the throne of God singing praises to Him with the heavenly choir.  I asked the Lord if my voice would be pleasing to Him when I was was there.  (I so hoped it would.)  He gave me a beautiful response that I have been pondering on since.  He told me that He listens to the heart not to the voices.  That He hears us with the ears of His heart.  That He wanted us to hear others with the ears of our hearts.

When I think about listening to a person with the "ears of my heart" I think of focusing into the soul of the person.  So how do we do that?  We can't.  God can.  For a long time now, God has convicted me that each person I meet (whether I like them or not) is of special value to Him.  He loves them just as He loves me.  He called me while I was a sinner, loved me and forgave me.  He calls me to do the same for others.  I am not God and I still am a self-centered sinner so by my own means I am not able to hear beyond words... to hear the deep cries of the heart.
 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, Eph 3:16
Photo by MariaRoseCollection
What He taught me is that when I am talking to a person, I look into their eyes and pray: God you love this person as much if not more so than me. Love them through me.  That simple prayer has changed so many relationships that I am not able to express the power of it to you.  And now I will add to that prayer.  I will ask God to allow me to hear beyond the words into their hearts.

This past weekend at church when we did our hand-shake thing, I saw a dear friend who's husband has cancer in his throat.  She was pretty devastated as he could barely talk and not able to eat or drink plus undergoing of all the side effects of the treatments.  After the service I prayed with her but felt incredibly inadequate to have words of comfort for her.  As I prayed out loud with her, I was praying from my heart to the Lord asking Him to provide the comfort that was beyond me.  When we finished a woman approached and apologized for interrupting but her husband had cancer and it is 2 years now and things are looking good.  She gave wonderful encouraging words. I just praised the Lord for the comfort that she brought. 

by graceforgrace
Once we had finished talking and praying, I looked around and the church was empty except one young man (probably about 16 or 17) with kind of wild hair down to his shoulders, baggy shorts and t-shirt.  (I imagine if the apostles lived today, they would look much like him, they certainly would not be suit & tie guys.) As we walked out, he stopped my friend asking her if her husband had cancer.  She said yes.  He said God had spoken to Him and to tell her that he would be cured.  It is amazing how God listens to our hearts and answers through those who choose to hear with their hearts what He has to say!


But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”1Samuel 16:7
God bless!

Phyllis 
pfdoriginalartworks 


Comments (10)

On October 22, 2012 at 5:57 AM , Missus D said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing the way God is moving in your community. What a blessing!

And with regards to singing, one things my church always encourage each other with is God says to "make a joyful noise", He never expects us to sing in tune, just to praise Him from the bottom of our hearts. :-)

Blessings,
Kathleen

 
On October 22, 2012 at 6:46 AM , Unknown said...

Great post - thanks for sharing!

 
On October 22, 2012 at 10:35 AM , Alana Gillett said...

Thank you for sharing, Phyllis! I struggle with getting caught up in the music and focusing on singing than what my true focus should be...to wholeheartedly praise our Almighty God. Thank you for the great reminder and example! Blessings!

 
On October 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM , ifrog crafter said...

Oh my goodness! What an awesome blog post. Thanks you so much!
<><

 
On October 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM , Donna (Twinmountainpottery) said...

I really enjoyed your post. What a blessing to all.

 
On October 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

We sing a chorus on occasion called Open the Eyes of my Heart, but I have never thought about ears of the heart...what a wonderful thought. Thank you so much for sharing Phyllis!

 
On October 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM , Cynthia said...

This is a heart-stirring post! Thank you! I also love the art from the various artists. Blessings!

 
On October 23, 2012 at 8:07 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Thanks so much, Phyllis. I think I may be the only person that I know who has been asked to please NOT to join the choir. Usually they are recruiting everyone they can find.

I like your prayer for people: "God you love this person as much if not more so than me. Love them through me."

 
On October 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM , Sara said...

Thank you for this message...I appreciated your words and attitude. It is something for us all to work on ♥

 
On October 23, 2012 at 2:19 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Wonderful and encouraging.

♥♥♥
Sue