SCRIPTURE

1 Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said to Samuel, “Don’t judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The LORD doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” (NLT)

THOUGHTS

The other day, I was looking at the new badge picture that I got at work. I remember the day I got it. Rather than the picture I took when I first hired in, this one was a “professional” picture! So I wore my best suit, had my hair done, and gave the best smile I could. I got the photo back and I had to look twice. “Is that me?” I looked like I could be a supermodel. No blemishes, perfect skin, even the earring that was stuck out, was now nicely tucked under my ear. The magic of technology lets anyone look like a model with enough tweaking, just like the devil can make things look like the right way to go. 
Men and Women today have a distorted concept of who they are supposed to be and what their greatest lure[asset] is. God gave us distinct roles and traits designed to work together in harmony. So let’s talk about what these lures are.

TRUE CHARACTER (Part 1)

Ladies first. What does the world say a woman’s greatest lure is? Well that badge picture the I was talking about earlier, beauty, is what the world says makes a woman, a woman. The more beautiful you are, the easier it is supposed to be to find a man, get respect, and have success. So women are constantly comparing themselves to the computer edited, makeup covered perfect women of magazines, and TV. But is this what God looks at? No, as the verse says God looks at the heart, and the heartly traits that He looks at is HER CHARACTER, not her LOOKS. The woman who demonstrates this the most is Ruth… so lets see what traits her Character was defined by:
1.       Hard Work
 “So Ruth went out to gather grain behind the harvesters. And as it happened, she found herself working in a field that belonged to Boaz, the relative of her father-in-law, Elimelech.”  ~ Ruth 2:3 (NLT)Ruth went and worked in the field even knowing the dangers of doing so for a widow in those days. And she worked hard. Notice in verses 5 and 6, Boaz immediately notices her and her hard work is noted.
 Then Boaz asked his foreman, “Who is that young woman over there? Who does she belong to?” And the foreman replied, “She is the young woman from Moab who came back with Naomi. She asked me this morning if she could gather grain behind the harvesters. She has been hard at work ever since, except for a few minutes’ rest in the shelter.” (NLT)
2.       Humility and Gratefulness
10 Ruth fell at his feet and thanked him warmly. “What have I done to deserve such kindness?” she asked. “I am only a foreigner.” ~Ruth 2:10 (NLT)Throughout her time with the harvesters she remained humble and respectful. She wasn’t prideful or selfish.
3.       Willingness to help others.
Ruth did what she did to help Naomi, in Naomi darkest hour. Her concern was never for herself but of others.
4.       Trust in God
 But Ruth replied, “Don’t ask me to leave you and turn back. Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. 17 Wherever you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord punish me severely if I allow anything but death to separate us!” Ruth 1:16-17 (NLT)Ruth had an unwavering trust in God even when Naomi told her to turn back to the gods of her people. She had a personal relationship with God and she wasn’t going to let it go, no matter what was going on around her.
These defined her Godly Character, and it was this that attracted Boaz, not her looks, as the world depicts.  11 Now don’t worry about a thing, my daughter. I will do what is necessary, for everyone in town knows you are a virtuous woman. Ruth 3:11 (NLT)
It is these traits that define a woman who is after God’s own heart and is defined more in Proverbs 31. Are you being or seeking a virtuous woman… or are you seeking/being a woman of the world?

PRAYER

Dear Lord we ask that you open our eyes more fully to see each other as you see them, and not be blinded by what the world offers us. We know that you look at the inside rather than the outside. We also know that sometimes it becomes easier for us to look at and fix what is on the outside thinking we can hide what is going on inside. Lord touch us and guide us, filling our hearts with the traits we should have. Let our hearts and minds be open to you. Amen

Note: This is a two part series and it doesn't dive as deep as I'd like (devotions need to be short) but if you want me to make the series longer let me know :)
Till Next Time
God Bless
Amanda of Astrialegends

Comments (7)

On June 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

This is something that I have always believed with all my heart. For me it is the heart. When your heart shines with the Holy Spirit, you shine on the outside.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On June 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Amanda, thank you so much. This is a wonderful devotion. So good to be reminded frequently about "true beauty."

I've never met or even seen pictures of most of my CAST Team mates, but their inner beauty sure shines through.

 
On June 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM , Julia Badgley said...

Lovely:) my husband and I were just thinking of Ruth recently and the choice that she made. She had a lot of character and her appearance isn't even described.

 
On June 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM , SHEILA said...

Such a needed reminder, especially for young girls and teens, if not all women. This was so well written-thank you!

 
On June 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM , Lorrie said...

What a great post. We are so skewed in our thinking now of what true beauty is. Wish every one, young and old, could read this.

 
On June 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Great post! I love Ruth.

 
On June 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM , Aloquin said...

Thank you for sharing this with us. Forget what length it is... say what the Lord wants you to say. If He directs you to say it, it's because we NEED to hear it (read it).

This really touched me this morning... again, thank you. I look forward to more from you. Continue to let Him direct your typing fingers! :)

-God bless,
Jen