by Lorrie of WitsEndDesign


NOT doing the whole she-bang Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Ok, so this could simply be called, Chicken Enchilada Casserole but I was inspired by the fact that this dish can satisfy a craving for Mexican food with a little less fuss. Don’t get me wrong, there really is no perfect substitute for the real deal, but my family and I have found this to be a pretty satisfying dish, again with minimal fuss.

In the past I was not a great fan of enchilada casseroles that utilized uncooked tortillas and a can of soup. I found the soggy glop you wound up with not exactly to my personal liking. I know others who love their Enchilada Casserole and I am sure everyone has a version. This dish feeds many, is easy to make and as I like to say, “fills the hole”. A great dish for when you need to get dinner together in a relatively painless fashion. So, here is yet another enchilada casserole recipe to add to your repertoire. Tweak as necessary. I use “fat free” or”light” versions of soup, cheese and milk.

Prep Time 15 min. Cook Time 30-40 min. Serves 6-8

Ingredients:


1 lb. cooked chopped chicken from a rotisserie chicken or 2 chicken half breasts that have been boiled and shredded.
½ c. chopped onion
1 10 ½ oz. can cream of mushroom soup (you can sub cream of chicken or celery also)
1 10 oz. can enchilada sauce (I use Las Palmas- medium heat)
2/3 c. evaporated milk
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese, PLUS additional to put on top (I use Colby-jack but you can use pepper jack or whatever you prefer)
1 sm. can diced green chilies
1 sm. can sliced olives
Several large handfuls of crumbled tortilla chips (This is the secret to non-gloppy casserole.

Method:

Roughly crumble chips to cover a 13 X 9 dish which has been sprayed with PAM. In a separate bowl, combine all ingredients and place in casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees 30-40 min. or until heated through. Spread additional cheese on top for the last 5 min. of baking. Serve with beans, rice, salad and additional chips to have a real fiesta!

Now, here are some wonderful Mexican inspired items to get you in a fiesta mood. Enjoy!

www.etsy.com/listing/100524592/tortilla-warmer-tortillero-tortilla
www.etsy.com/listing/100301810/baby-sombrero-and-poncho-newborn-to-3
www.etsy.com/listing/93634016/photo-card-southwest-adobe-new-mexico
www.etsy.com/listing/64731546/southwest-style-hard-maple-footed?ref=pr_shop

 by Lorrie of WitsEndDesign

Comments (10)

On June 5, 2012 at 9:41 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Thanks Lorrie. I am really craving chicken enchilada casserole now. A trip to the grocery store is in order.

 
On June 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM , Cheryl said...

This sounds really good! Thanks!

 
On June 5, 2012 at 9:45 AM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Looks yummy!

 
On June 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM , The REAL EverSewSweet said...

Poor little chicken. :-)

 
On June 5, 2012 at 10:02 AM , MYSAVIOR said...

I am definitely putting this recipe in my documents. Sounds really delicious. Love all of the finds also.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On June 5, 2012 at 11:18 AM , sammysgrammy said...

Souns like a handy recipe to make to bring over to the house of a brother or sister who's under the weather. (easy and quick to make and you can make it as mild as you like for some tummies)

 
On June 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM , Rafael y Nelly said...

Yum yum! What a neat surprise to see you feature my tortillero, thank you!

 
On June 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM , Cynthia said...

Oh, my! This looks so good! Gotta' try it! Thank you and blessings!

 
On June 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM , Aloquin said...

Oh wow!!! I really LOVE making casseroles (although I haven't in a while...). They are so much fun, and the varieties are basically endless.

I have little ones... is this a spicy recipe? I suppose I could make it non-spicy, anyway... thanks for sharing! Will def have to try this out one day soon... lol, before it gets too hot to use the oven in our apartment!

 
On June 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM , Lorrie said...

Jen, Use a mild sauce and then it is flavorful and not spicy :-)