by Sheila of SewFaithful
Nancy of Designs Stained Glass
Nancy is such a multi talented lady. Not only does she sew, but we are going to show you her gorgeous stained glass creations from one of her two shops here on Etsy.



Tell us a little about yourself Nancy:
I am a mom of two grown kids and have been married for 34 years.
I have been sewing, crafting, and knitting since I was a little girl.  I started taking stained glass classes 10 years ago and was immediately hooked. It is so much fun.  I have always been intrigued with the beautiful windows in our church and other churches that I have visited in the past.  My style of stained glass windows are a bit different from the ones you may be used to seeing in your church. I do not use the leaded style, I use the tiffany style which is copper foil method and they are for more ornamental and decoration then for an actual window replacement.


Once I started making stained glass items I made many for my home, gave lots away to family and friends as gifts, and donated a few things to my church and other organizations.  Five years ago both of our children moved out within a few months of each other and being an empty nest er I needed something else - another  outlet - but I didn’t really know what it was that I was looking for. I started selling my glass at local art galleries, then consignment shops.  My daughter told me about Etsy and I said I would give it a try.  I am so thankful I did.             


 
How did you come up with your shop name? 
I wanted my shop name to say exactly what it is I do.  I do make many of my own designs and patterns for my panels and sun catchers.  I tried to think of a more creative title to my shop but decided on this one - tells the customer exactly what they can expect to find in my shop.

What does a typical day look like for you? 
My typical day - get up early, do a few house hold chores, go to work, ( my husband and I own our own small business.  I work in the office and he is in the shop).  When I get home I then can work on my stained glass or projects for my other Etsy shop, Nancy’s Bags etc. Between my “real” job, 2 Etsy shops, our new lovely home, my gardens, 2 cats, my kids coming home to visit, my family and friends, and all my other crafty things I like to do - I am always busy, never a dull moment.

What is your favorite bible verse?
 There are many but I  do love this one:
Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."
Proverbs 16:3



What is your favorite thing to list in your shop?
I love dragonflies - one of my favorites in my shop at the moment is this one:




Nancy has offered a very generous giveaway of  one of her small angel sun catchers. Pick something from this shop section if you win. To enter, visit Nancy's shop and leave a comment here about a favorite item. 

Where can we find you on the Internet?
My shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/DesignsStainedGlass

You can also find me on face book:

http://www.facebook.com/stndglassdesigns

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/stndglass

And my other Etsy shop:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NancysBagsEtc

Thanks so much Nancy for letting us get to know you better!


And the winner of last weeks giveaway, a choice of any of AronaDesigns illustrations, is Melanie of ForeverCherishDesigns! Lizzi will be in contact with you. Congrats!! 

Comments (15)

On October 26, 2011 at 10:02 AM , Kelly said...

I love dragonflies too! The sun catchers are so pretty.

 
On October 26, 2011 at 10:44 AM , krafterskorner said...

They are all really pretty, but this one is my favorite.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/76593391/stained-glass-heart-suncatcher-red-white

 
On October 26, 2011 at 11:35 AM , Sue Runyon said...

So nice to learn more about you, Nancy. You sound like such a busy lady. Beautiful work!

 
On October 26, 2011 at 12:32 PM , Rita (aka sammysgrammy) said...

Nancy does such beautiful work. She was my secret Santa last year. I just love the glass start she created for me. I leave it hanging in my kitchen window all year - not just a Christmas ornament.

I loved seeing her picture. Now she is not just in my imagination..........

 
On October 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM , MarveLes Art Studios said...

Lovely interview, lovely work. I really ... love her 'commitment' the best!

 
On October 26, 2011 at 1:37 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Hi Nancy! Love your picture! Nancy does beautiful work in both her shops. Being the pink person that I am, I love this angel.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/57366206/angel-stained-glass-suncatcher-ornament

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On October 26, 2011 at 2:10 PM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Well good grief! I didn't know that one Nancy owned both the glass and bags shops. I learn something new everyday. :) Beautiful glass work, Nancy! Love the dragonfly piece in this post and the Victorian panel.

 
On October 26, 2011 at 4:46 PM , Lorrie said...

I am partial to all of the heart shaped pieces but the Victorian panel is probably my favorite. What beautiful work!

 
On October 26, 2011 at 7:45 PM , Unknown said...

I didn't know this was the bag lady too!
It was so hard to choose a favorite but I like this one:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/60331587/angel-stained-glass-suncatcher-light

 
On October 27, 2011 at 4:32 AM , Deb (Two Cheeky Monkeys) said...

Nancy's stained glass creations are beautiful!!! I really like the business card holders - something a little different and pretty too. :)Nancy's stained glass creations are beautiful!!! I really like the business card holders - something a little different and pretty too. :)

 
On October 28, 2011 at 11:02 AM , Lizzi said...

I love the best friends suncatcher. Your work is impressive!

aronadesigns@yahoo.com

 
On October 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM , bananaorangeapple said...

I love stained glass. One day I would like to go to evening class to learn how to do it.

This one with the raindrops is by far my favouritehttp://www.etsy.com/listing/71443175/stained-glass-panel-blue-raindrops-and
But I do like this one with the abstract triangle because of the colours, it is my second favourite.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/58955229/suncatcher-stained-glass-abstract

 
On October 29, 2011 at 1:08 PM , Donna (Twinmountainpottery) said...

I love stained glass. It does sound fun to learn! I do some slumping and fusing and tried casting but never the stained glass process.

Nancy your work is beautiful!!! I love the pink angel too and also your Christmas ornaments!

 
On October 30, 2011 at 7:14 AM , myeuropeantouch said...

Love the stained glass art...of course I am partial to this hobby....go Nancy...♥
Monika

 
On November 3, 2011 at 5:21 PM , nancy said...

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments.