A word aptly spoken
   is like apples of gold in settings of silver.
  Like an earring of gold or an ornament of fine gold
   is a wise man’s rebuke to a listening ear. 
Proverbs 25:11-12 (NIV)

Send Paper Love


This week I thought I would share two verses from Proverbs which, while not my absolute favourite verses of all time, are ones I like to turn to when I need a reminder to watch what I say and to be more eager to listen to wisdom.  I think these verses beautifully portray how important wise speech is to one's way of living, especially those who are children of God.  Verse 11 reminds me that the words I speak to others should be so helpful and edifying that they are like "apples of gold in settings of silver".  And the second verse reminds me just how precious well-spoken words from the wise are, even if it is a rebuke.  I pray that you will be reminded of these verses every time you see or eat an apple!  Perhaps you could take some time to pray for yourself or others (like me) who may struggle in this aspect of their walk with the Lord.

Comments (5)

On August 26, 2011 at 2:32 PM , Miss Sarah said...

That's a good reminder. Thank you. Wisdom has been a topic on my mind a lot recently as I have been memorizing Proverbs 2 with the children at our church.

Wise words, wise responses, and even wise rebukes are beautiful. May we seek this wisdom with all of our hearts!

Thanks for including my apple jumper in this post!

 
On August 26, 2011 at 3:53 PM , Sue Runyon said...

I guess I never really noticed that verse before, Deb. I think it's going to be a new favorite verse!

 
On August 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM , Jan McCorkle said...

Oh Deb,
Thanks so much for this "timely" reminder. I'm a big fan of this verse and have used it many times. I love the apple jumper...I made one out of the same fabric years ago and it remains one of my favorites.
Thanks so much,
Jan

 
On August 26, 2011 at 9:59 PM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Lovely post, and very good reminder that our words can do so much...for good and for evil.

 
On August 27, 2011 at 6:57 AM , Becky K. said...

This is a topic that has been on my mind lately. Guess I must need to hear it!
Thanks....
Great choices for apple finds.

Becky