"Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."  Luke 12:6-7
As I think back through my childhood -- and even adult years -- I have so many precious memories of my Mother.  She is truly special... a gift from God.  She taught me much, but one memory in particular always stands out.
One Sunday evening, just before Christmas, I had gone to church early with Mom.  She regularly played the piano during services and was going up early to practice the song she planned to play during the offertory that evening.

I was in a particularly bad mood that evening -- sulky and cranky, down on myself in just about every way.  I was home on Christmas break from college and the day before had received my semester grades in the mail.  I had failed my Economics class (required to graduate) and I had taken it badly.  I was convinced my college career was over, I'd never graduate, never get a good job, and on and on.

As I moped around the sanctuary while Mom practiced, she suddenly stopped.  She asked me if I knew the words to the song she was playing.  I did.. I knew them well.  The song was "His Eye Is On the Sparrow".  She reminded me how very much God loved me and how special I was regardless of any grade I had made in school.  She asked me to sit down and really listen to the words of that song.

I will never forget that evening.  Just Mom and I alone -- her playing and I listening.  I had been taught all my life how special I was and how God loved me and would always be with me regardless of what I had or had not done.  However, in that moment the message really sunk in.. probably for the first time.  I really "got" what that song meant when it said, "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches me".

To this day, I struggle to put my head around the greatness of God's love.  But, I know it is real and I know that I see it played out in my life daily.  I am where I am because of His great and mighty love for me.

Mom gave me a great gift that evening.  I pray I can teach my children as well what a great and mighty God we serve.  I love you Mom!

Happy Sunday and Happy Mother's Day!

Melanie/Beads-N-Style

Comments (6)

On May 8, 2011 at 8:33 AM , Taylor said...

Happy Mothers Day, mothers!

Taylor

 
On May 8, 2011 at 9:59 PM , Art and Sew Forth said...

Oh Melanie - what a wonderful warm memory full of truth. A moment planned by God just for you. How precious. Thank you! I hope your mom's day was full of love!

 
On May 8, 2011 at 11:34 PM , pfd said...

How sweet the memory and wonderful reminder of how much God loves us!

 
On May 9, 2011 at 1:14 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Happy Mother's Day, dear Melanie♥

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On May 9, 2011 at 9:18 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Melanie - You are so blessed to have a memory like that.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On May 10, 2011 at 2:33 PM , Crafty Mommas said...

how awesome! thanks so much for sharing that story, I hope I can do that for my girls one day, really show them God's love