Ps 19:6

God’s word vaults across the sky from sunrise to sunset, melting ice, scorching hearts, warming hearts to faith. 
The Message Bible

Our ladies bible study is studying ‘Becoming a Woman of Faith’ by Cynthia Heald. As a result faith has been on my heart.

What is faith? The dictionary describes faith as confidence or trust in a person or thing, belief that is not based of proof, belief in God or a code of ethics.

I find that when I am walking in faith I am on the road to conquering fear. At one time fear controlled life. Gut determination to enjoy life and with the power of God to convince myself there is nothing to fear except God has helped me conquer my fears.


The first fear I remember conquering was to learn to drive a car. I started driving in my Dad’s standard half tone truck on country back roads. As soon as I got my license I was driving in the city, including Toronto. God plunged me into the thick of things.

A few other fears I have conquered during my life were going back to church, being artistic in my pottery and also selling it, motorcycling with my hubby across North America and downhill skiing. I couldn’t cover my face or I would hyperventilate. Now I snorkel and I’m learning to scuba dive. Two reasons holding me back were the fear of people and the fear of getting hurt or killed. In every fear I conquered, God put upon my heart to not listen to those voices of defeat, then he’d give me a word from the bible.

From the beginning of man God has been telling us ‘do not fear’, or ‘You can do this, I got your back’. Despite our unbelief he will never give us more than we can handle. He just takes us to the cliff and holds us there for a while.

One thing that amazed me about God through all of this is that He wants us to enjoy life to its fullest, while working or playing. To soar like the eagle, fly like a bird. God’s creation is too beautiful to let fear stop us from enjoying it.


When fear grips me I remember the acronym for fear, ‘False Expectations Appearing Real’. Could faith be ‘Faith Always In the Highest one’? I know I need an ‘O’ at the end. Continue it with a pray.

Oh God, help me to get through this ____________ so I can conquer the fear I am experiencing now.

Comments (9)

On May 9, 2011 at 8:52 AM , Cherry said...

great post, thanks for the reminder!

 
On May 9, 2011 at 8:26 PM , pfd said...

My favorite verse is "God did not give us a spirit of fear but of power, of love and of a sound mind." 2 Tim 1:7

 
On May 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Wonderful post, thank you!

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On May 9, 2011 at 9:22 PM , myeuropeantouch said...

What an inspiration this reading is, thank you for sharing...
♥♥
Monika

 
On May 9, 2011 at 11:18 PM , LittleElf said...

That was such a great post, it totally hits home with me. God is so amazing at helping us though things we never would have thought we could get through or do.

 
On May 10, 2011 at 7:42 AM , luvncrafts said...

Great thoughts.

 
On May 10, 2011 at 10:17 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Thanks for the wonderful reminder, Joyce!

 
On May 10, 2011 at 11:51 AM , Sherri Ward said...

I relate to this in so many ways - including both learning to ski (sort of, hubby claims the trees up there move faster than I do) and scuba dive, and learning to trust Him in using the talents He's given me. Lately I'm also learning to trust Him in letting go of things as I get older (not sure if I will ski or scuba any more, but I'm so thankful for past blessings!)

 
On May 11, 2011 at 5:36 PM , Jan said...

Once again...this is just what I needed to hear. Thanks so much!