But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.  1 Corinthians 15:57


Seven years ago this month my grandfather passed away.  He had lived a long and full life.. always at his best when surrounded by family and friends.  He had a love of life and a joy that I've not seen in many people.  I don't think I ever saw him without a smile on his face.  For that matter, I never even called my grandparents house that he didn't answer the phone and his smile could be heard in his voice.

I remember well the weekend he passed away.  We all knew the time was close.  He had been diagnosed with cancer several years prior and the last couple of months had really taken a toll on his body. 

The call came on a weekend and we quickly began making plans to make the out-of-state drive for the services.  My husband had just taken a new job and was leaving on Monday for a two week training -- also out of state.  My 2 1/2 year old son and I would make the journey ourselves.

It is about a 6 hour drive to where my grandparents lived.  About an hour out, I began to get restless.  I was about 3 months pregnant with our daughter and was beginning to grow weary.  I wanted to get out and walk around, but was determined we would just keep pressing on.  Additionally, about 5 hours of music from "The Wiggles" and various Disney videos coming from the backseat was beginning to wear a little thin on my ears (but, so thankful they were keeping my son occupied!).

In an effort to keep myself going and bring a little something more to the musical selections available in the car, I began to sing hymns.  After singing thru a couple, I began singing 'Victory in Jesus'.  As I reached the closing phrases of the last verse, the tears began to flow... "And some sweet day I'll sing up there my song of victory!"

I'm sure they came at this time for several reasons.... with all the rush to get on the road quickly I hadn't taken any time to really process that Grandpa was no longer here on earth with us, being tired my emotions were probably wearing more than a little thin, and so on.  However, I think what brought the tears the most was the picture I had in my mind of Grandpa standing before Jesus singing that song of victory!

Each day of his life, Grandpa had shared the victory he had found thru a life of living for God.  He shared it with family and friends and anyone else whose path he crossed while on this earth.

That moment in the car brought home to me what a precious gift we are given.  A gift that brings us victory... here on earth and in our eternal home in heaven.


Happy Sunday!


Melanie/Beads-N-Style


Comments (10)

On March 13, 2011 at 7:13 AM , EmbroidersandQuilts said...

Well - that brought tears to my eyes! Good ones! This week we lived through a similar situation. My daughter-in-law's Grandpa passed away last Saturday after the fighting the good fight against an ugly cancer. She had to come the 4 hours by herself because my son couldn't get off work until the following morning. My son said the exhaustion hit her yesterday and she slept almost all day! Wonderful memories and the knowledge that he is in the presence of the Lord will get her through -
"Oh, that will be glory for me,
Glory for me, glory for me,
When by His grace I shall look on His face,
That will be glory, be glory for me."
Blessings,
Clare
clarepackages

 
On March 13, 2011 at 7:29 AM , Amber D. Mcnabb said...

I sure do love the old hymns. And the memories of my Grandpa on Sundays with his shirt pocket full of certs and spearmint gum.

 
On March 13, 2011 at 9:57 AM , Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your personal story! So many sweet memories we have of our grandparents. :)

 
On March 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM , pfd said...

I have no such sweet memories of grandparents but I strive to be the type of grandparent you describe. It is encouraging to see how much you valued his legacy.

 
On March 13, 2011 at 2:39 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

What a wonderful tribute to your grandpa.
Thank you for sharing this with us.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On March 13, 2011 at 3:02 PM , TC Cunningham said...

What a beautiful post about your grandfather. Tears are flowing. But Yes..."Victory In Jesus"!!!!!

And thank you for featuring one of my crosses on your blog! "With the cross, [God] won the victory." Colossians 2:15

 
On March 13, 2011 at 4:00 PM , myeuropeantouch said...

Oh Melanie, how special this post is...I too cried some tears, but "Godly ones"...Joy ones...

Just a short while a go, I picked my songs and one of them is "Going home"...so touching.

Thank you for sharing your very special esperience.
(((hugs)))

 
On March 13, 2011 at 6:10 PM , sammysgrammy said...

Melanie, thank you for reminding us what a glorious future we have and how precious is a Godly inheritance.

 
On March 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Grandpa's are so special and some hymns are so stirring. Thank you for sharing.

 
On March 15, 2011 at 4:20 PM , Donna (Twinmountainpottery) said...

What a wonderful tribute to you Grandpa - it is so comforting to know that your loved one has gone home to be with Jesus. I can't imagine the sadness of knowing that a loved one may have passed with out a relationship with Jesus. It reminds us all to share the wonderful power of God and how Jesus died for us with everyone we can.