by Phyllis Ducey
pfdoriginalartworks


Yesterday for our Scripture Sunday verse, Sue (MYSAVIOR) kindly and honestly shared with us about an incident where she trusted a fellow Christian to do work for her. She found the person to be untrustworthy which cost her personally as well as monetarily.

Not that Sue was not wise in her decision making but it brought to mind the verse where Jesus states that we are to be "shrewd as snakes and innocent as doves" (Matt 10:16). So then I started researching that verse which in context refers to Christ giving instructions as He was sending the disciples out to preach. The word shrewd in this verse means "wise". This prompted me to see all the uses of the word wisdom in the Bible. (I have in the past done studies on wisdom verses a fool... a study anyone can do by reading Proverbs and is well worth spending time in.) I found there to be 215 wisdom related verses in the New International Version. Must be pretty important to have that many references.

What does being shrewd as a snake mean anyway? For me I think of the snake that lured Eve in the Garden of Eden. He was shrewd by working on her ego and manipulating the truth. Aren't many of us guilty of what is commonly referred to as "white lies" where we manipulate the truth? Doesn't truth get blurred?

We need wisdom to guide us in truth and in our lives. But like truth, I get the sense that what works for me is considered wise. What is best for the moment is what is best for me. But is that what wisdom is about? Or is that man's wisdom? Below are some of God's view of wisdom.


I think that wisdom is a word we rarely refer to anymore but should be one of our personal goals. God's tells us He will grant us wisdom if we ask. And when we see that it is pure, peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere... what more could we want?

Wisdom sometimes comes to us at a price. In her post, Sue followed God's wisdom in how she worked out the situation with the person who did not perform his carpentry as he professed he would. But unfortunately, she also learned a lesson that I learned a long time ago, just because we are Christian, we may not be always practicing it.

I remember one time I was working for a Christian man and we were going (with others) to a Christian seminar to showcase some product. When not working we got the opportunity to attend some of the programs which had awesome speakers. One I attended encouraged us to be in prayer and fast during the weekend. I thought it a good idea and did. I also was working extreme hours and had been very frustrated with my boss about several things that weekend. I felt justified in my frustration but did not control it well. At one point I totally (and inappropriately) blew up at him! Really blew.

Here I was a Christian... I was fasting and praying... but I lost total control and was focused on accomplishing a task that I felt he was not following through on as he promised. That was my problem not his. I was not behaving in the way a "Christian" should. Unlike Sue's example, I was not following God's wisdom as she did... otherwise I would have been peace-loving and considerate.

As with everything, God is gracious and allowed me to learn a lot about myself from that event. One thing was that I learned I do not function well when I fast that possibly my blood sugars drop and my thinking is not as clear as it should be. I kind of shocked myself at my outburst, so I learned to be understanding of others when they have them. Maybe there is some underlying issues that effected that person in the circumstances. Understanding and wisdom go hand-in-hand. One of my personal goals is to continue to search for it... how about you?

<><><><><><<><><><>

Here are a few of our awesome CAST Team shops. Please check them out!!

Comments (9)

On August 2, 2010 at 9:47 AM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Very good and a lot to think on!!

 
On August 2, 2010 at 12:17 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

My search may never be over until I am in His presence. I always try to remember the word 'grace' along with wisdom.
I am aware of that 'snake' who was in the 'Garden' because he slithers into my dreams to try to turn me back into what I was before the Lord showed me wisdom and grace. We must look ahead.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On August 2, 2010 at 12:37 PM , Lizzi said...

Thank you for this post :-). Wonderful as always.

 
On August 2, 2010 at 1:43 PM , sammysgrammy said...

Such a rich and satisfying meal of the Word prepared for us by your loving hands. We are so blessed.

 
On August 2, 2010 at 3:46 PM , Unknown said...

Thank you so much for YOUR wisdom, (which you have got from God) and sharing it with us.

 
On August 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM , J Honda said...

yes :O)

 
On August 3, 2010 at 7:13 AM , Anonymous said...

Great thoughts on wisdom!
Christie (luvncrafts)

 
On August 4, 2010 at 1:17 AM , Art and Sew Forth said...

I was always told that wisdom is seeing things from God's perspective. I like that definition. Oh to see each situation as God does! What understanding that would bring to us. Thank you for sharing again-such a great reminder of the necessity to be diligent to seek after this precious quality.

 
On August 4, 2010 at 10:20 PM , sweetybird09 said...

Just today saw this post, a lot of terrific information!

Thanks for this.

Joyce