by Phyllis Ducey
pfdoriginalartworks



I'm starting this on Tuesday and the day is almost over. Wednesday is a few hours away. That will zip and be gone. Before I realize it I will be overwhelmed with Thursday because the week is almost over and I know I'll never get all my work done by the end of the day Friday. Then I say "yeah" it's the weekend and on Monday when asked what I did, it was all a blur that had gone by much too fast.... then it all happens all over again, and again and again. A never ending spiral?

Sometimes I feel like it is. Like I am spinning my wheels not going anywhere. When I had toddlers it was change diapers, breakfast, dishes (no dishwasher back then but if you had unexpected company in a small kitchen the oven worked well for storing dirty dishes), laundry, picking up, fixing drinks, snacks, playtime, picking up, lunch, play time, nap time (whew!) , picking up, (oops get dishes out of oven before starting dinner) dinner... you get the idea, right? Now it is work, laundry, clean house, cook dinner (or order out) ... another world of spirals!

You can almost see how people who get so depressed want to give up. Their spiral can be overwhelming, especially when you combine it with financial problems, abuse or addictions. To me it all comes down to where your focus is. If it is all about "me" than that spiral pulls me in dragging me along into its never ending center.

When I am so full of myself - either positively or negatively - I am not bearing fruit. Why? Because I am focusing on me. I may be doing so wonderfully great that I forget I need the Lord or I may be so overwhelmed I wallow in my self pity (and yes I do that periodically). Either way, I am not focused on the Lord... I am not remaining in Him.


I love the comparison of the vine. I can relate to it, maybe because I love plants. If I were a branch on the vine, I would get my nourishment from the main plant and its strong roots. If I am cut from the vine or break off, I loose my life source. Same thing with the Lord. I get my life source though Him, the roots that bring nourishment to me is the Bible, His word. The more I focus on God's word and Him, the more sense my life makes.

I may still be doing the same things... following repeated patterns of daily life but I find I extend myself to others more. I pray more. I understand that there are eternal consequences to my actions (or my lack of actions). I realize my Creator God has a reason for me. And as I remain in Him, He blesses me with fruit... or even better, He allows me to bless others.

Isn't it wonderful to have a God who loves us so much that He keeps us close and prunes us when needed? I know so many who refuse to acknowledge or accept Him, they continue their meaningless spiral and for those I pray they would know the wonder of the God that I love so dearly and loves me, you and them.

<><>><><><<>><><<><<><>

Here is another related post I did a while back:
Gardening - me or the plants?

<><>><><><<>><><<><<><>

And here are some wonderful items from our fellow CAST Team members. Please check them out and give them your hearts!
Bangle by eversoDear


Comments (7)

On July 26, 2010 at 12:12 AM , Lizzi said...

It's funny that it's Tuesday there :-) It's 12:11 am on Monday here!!

Thank you for this post. It was great. Sounds so much like the way I go through my week...ugh...not this week!!

 
On July 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM , JoyfulHandKnits said...

Thanks Phyllis, for reminding us to keep our focus on HIM rather than on ourselves.

Joy from JoyfulHandKnits.etsy.com

 
On July 26, 2010 at 11:51 AM , MYSAVIOR said...

Put the Lord first always. That is my focus.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On July 26, 2010 at 12:11 PM , bbrunophotography said...

Your post blessed my heart this morning, on my birthday! Thank you.
Thanks, too, for including my Red Forest Vine photo & shop in your photo section. I appreciate that so much.

God bless you with a wonderful week, Phyllis.

Bonnie :)

 
On July 26, 2010 at 5:19 PM , Unknown said...

Love this! Especially this: "Isn't it wonderful to have a God who loves us so much that He keeps us close and prunes us when needed?"

 
On July 26, 2010 at 11:32 PM , J Honda said...

Phyllis - spot on. speaks volumes to me. Thank you, thank you..
you are someone who "takes the time to..."; greatly appreciated and thankful to know you as Sister and friend. :O)

 
On August 1, 2010 at 9:46 PM , Vicki said...

What a beautifully written lesson in how we can break out of the monotonous rituals of life by staying connected to him and being his hands and feet wherever we are and in whatever we are doing. Lovely post.
Ellielee/Vicki