By Phyllis Ducey
pfdoriginalartworks


I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8




There are times that a verse helps me deepen my walk with the Lord or may have been pivotal to carry me though a hard time. Psalm 4:8 is one of those verses that has touched me deep in my soul.

It has gotten me through some very severe storms. Not the emotional kind but weather. I use to hate strong winds and had an unusual fear of tornadoes for never having experienced one. I no longer lay awake all night prepared to wake the house up to seek shelter in the basement (much to my husband's relief). I now am able to get a good night's sleep knowing the Lord will wake me if it is needed. This verse brings me peace. For God alone can keep me safe.

I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8

At one time I traveled on a book tour with an author and several other people promoting his book. One night after driving for hours on end, we entered Los Angeles at 3 in the morning totally exhausted. We came to a mediocre looking hotel (we normally stayed in very nice hotels but this day we had somehow gotten off schedule) and checked in. Apparently this hotel? was normally used at an hourly rate and I suspect was often used for illegal activities. On the corner were women of ... (how should I carefully say this?) ill-repute. Being the only woman in our group, I was going to have a room of my own. My companions offered to keep driving until we found something a little more appropriate butI was so tired at that point (I had done a considerable amount of the driving) I did not even care. I slept in my clothes, barely used the washroom and prayed Psalm 4:8. I figured at that point I was in God's hands and I needed sleep.

I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8

Another time this verse came alive to me was the day we had to ask our 18 year old son to leave. We had tried over and over to get him to follow our rules but he continually chose to do what he wanted. These were very basic rules that he signed a contract to follow. He repeatedly made the decision to go his own way, re-sign a contract and continued the same behaviors. With a heavy heart one day, we felt that he left us no choice but to ask him to leave the house immediately. Armed only with a backpack of what he considered essentials and a pager, he walked into the darkness without a destination. Knowing this would happen I had arranged for a place for him to stay for a day or two until he settled but he chose not to do that either. .. He walked out peacefully and promised to return my pages (that was just prior to cell phones being normal and pagers were common.)

At that moment I did not see a young rebellious man fade into the night, I saw my 3 year old precious little boy drifting away from me. Oh how a mother's heart can ache!

My prayer was constantly: "Lord you know where he is and what he is doing. He is safer in Your hands than mine. I hand him to you. For you alone, O LORD, will make make him dwell in safety." And He did. My son was safe through it all. My ability to sleep at night and not be plagued by obsessive worry was only due to my trusting God at His Word.

I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8


In Proverbs 3:5 the Lord reminds us to trust in Him with our whole heart.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding
Prov 3:5

Working on applying and making Prov 3:5 ingrained into my being (I am still working on that) has not necessarily made everything easier. But it has given me a peace and an inner strength that provided me the ability to get through whatever came my way. Not only to "get through it" but to grow through it and to trust through it. AND I have been able to sleep!

I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

As with each week below is a group of wonderful items from CAST Team member shops. I really enjoyed exploring all their items and I am sure you will too!
Click and heart!





Comments (13)

On July 11, 2010 at 11:51 PM , Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing from your heart Phyllis. I have and 18yr old boy so know how hard that must have been. My word for it is tough love. Thankfully we have a God that goes before us. You have spied out some beautiful items too!

 
On July 12, 2010 at 12:06 AM , J Honda said...

wonderful! I love you Sis ♥

 
On July 12, 2010 at 12:26 AM , Art and Sew Forth said...

Phyllis-this is so 'real'! I think we all can relate in one way or another. Thank you!

 
On July 12, 2010 at 12:35 AM , sweetybird09 said...

Thanks for using my candy blanket and for such a great story!

I loved all the items you shared.

Joyce

 
On July 12, 2010 at 6:01 AM , myeuropeantouch said...

Phyllis, thank you for sharing something so special. I too had to do this with my daughter, my heart broke and I cried my eyes out. For many, many years she hated me for that and was gone from my life.
I am still praying for her daily.

What a fabulous surprise
when I heard you wanting to use my pillow case for a devotion. Co-incedentilly my daughter had been on my mind the last few weeks.

I needed to be reminded by you sharing this psalm with me, who really is in charge.
Thank you and God bless...
Monika

 
On July 12, 2010 at 8:06 AM , Anonymous said...

Great reading!
And lovely items from the cast team!
Christie (luvncrafts)

 
On July 12, 2010 at 8:54 AM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Thank you for sharing with us, Phyllis! I so appreciate you wisdom. My heart aches for you as you had to let your boy go off into the night. We have to do what we have to do. My continual prayer is that I learn and grow from everything the Lord brings me through.

 
On July 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM , JoyAnna said...

Thank you so much for sharing - I read and cried along with you. And, I too, have gone through trials that only God's love got me through and I continue to go through these trials on a daily basis as my husband takes so much patience - he can not see well at all due to macular degeneration, does not hear well at all as the anvil got knocked out of the stirrup in one ear in an automobile accident and also has some senility! Life can be very challenging, but so far I have perservered with God's love and help.
You chose some beautiful items to share with us - thank you.
Brenda of JoyAnna & MorningGloryVintage

 
On July 12, 2010 at 2:07 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

This is so close to my heart. I always pray before I sleep and feel so comforted to know that the Lord is with us.

♥♥♥

 
On July 12, 2010 at 4:14 PM , Unknown said...

Thank you for always sharing your heart!!! You touch my heart every time I read your words!! Your faith is truly inspiring!!!!

 
On July 13, 2010 at 8:00 AM , Mulberry Lane Folk Art said...

This verse brought great comfort to me also! If you have fears, worries, or doubts, read the Psalms and the Lord will dispel them all!

 
On July 16, 2010 at 10:36 PM , Unknown said...

What a beautiful verse and thank you for your heartfelt memories. This verse is what we need to turn to in those evenings where we find we are at the end of ourselves.

 
On July 17, 2010 at 9:23 AM , Lisa said...

Wonderful blog and beautiful work from everyone, God is so good to us! WE sometimes forget to thank him for his everlasting love and watchfulness!