In my last post about critiquing each others Etsy shops I mentioned that I traded critiques with Susan from gentleadornments. When I first looked at her shop she had a very nice, and nicely short, shop announcement and shop title. However, I noticed that they didn't contain any of the keywords she really needed for her shop. Looking around at other CAST Team shops I've noticed the same thing.

When you are writing your shop title and shop announcement you should know that keywords in your shop title and first 150 characters of your shop announcement are how you get found on search engines. It's not something that is intuitive, unfortunately, so most of us don't realize this. When I Googled Susan's shop name, her facebook, blog and twitter came right up on top of the first page, but her Etsy shop was no where to be found--even when I added "etsy" to the search. She changed her shop title right away to contain a few keywords and before she could even change her shop announcement Google indexed her shop. I checked again and just that one tiny change brought her up to the top of  page three in the results (a few days later and it's on the first page where it ought to be). That's how important a good shop title and announcement are!



The same holds true for each and every item description and item title in your shop. Using descriptive keywords in the title and first 150 characters of the description will help people find your items from Search Engines. Your Etsy tags are mostly for Etsy searches. Your title and descriptions are for Search Engines. That's also something that is not intuitive. I've recently started to pay more attention to that in my shop (I had really good sales in May by the way and I'm only starting to change them).

by Sue of SueRunyonDesigns

Comments (10)

On June 24, 2010 at 6:41 AM , sweetybird09 said...

Thanks Sue for this advice, I had made the same changes last month to my shop announcement.

Oh there is one more thing that I read, make your shop announcement with fewer words so the prospective buyer can see at least some of the the first 3 pictures that you have featured, by shortening the announcement you can allow this to happen.

Take care
Joyce

 
On June 24, 2010 at 8:15 AM , pfd said...

Sue, great advice. I think it is important that we learn these things to optimize our businesses. Thanks for giving us a good lesson to help us succeed!

 
On June 24, 2010 at 9:01 AM , hiddenmanna said...

Great ideas... I'll have to try them out!

 
On June 24, 2010 at 9:15 AM , Christie Cottage said...

Great info!


Lovely earrings too

 
On June 24, 2010 at 9:48 AM , Art and Sew Forth said...

Good article! With the zillions of online products out there, this is a MUST!

 
On June 24, 2010 at 12:25 PM , ShadowCutter said...

so what sort of things should we put at the beginning of shop announcement?

 
On June 24, 2010 at 12:44 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Put in sentences containing keywords that relate to items in your shop.

"So glad you are visiting my shop. Take your time and browse. I think you will enjoy it. Convo me if you need anything" -- might be nice to say, but won't bring you up in a single search on Google.

 
On June 24, 2010 at 1:05 PM , SassySashadoxie said...

Sasha, the wiener dog here. I had to show Mommy this one and say I told ya so. Humans never listen to us wiener dogs when it comes to writing up the blurbs on their items. Franks a lot for putting it in terms that humans could understand. Doxie kisses to you.

 
On June 24, 2010 at 5:19 PM , Julie Riisnaes said...

Thank you so much for this advice Sue - I'm going to look at that!

 
On June 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM , Kathleen said...

Very true, Sue. I have found that I need to constantly take a look at my titles and descriptions because what looked good a while ago, may not look as good right now.