There is this blank sheet of paper staring at me and here I sit with a blank mind. I am waiting for the Lord to help me decide what to write. I am a blank canvas awaiting His nudge… but I feel nothing pouring forth. How often do I sit back and wait for the Lord? Mostly when I write and at times when I paint. I should when I pray but I get so worried that I will miss praying for someone that I had promised I would pray for, I end up giving the Lord various commands. Get so & so well, find him a job, comfort her, bring a Christian man into her life, save their house, find them a house, give them wisdom… my lists go on and on and on…until I fall asleep. Or I neatly wrap it up with “Your will be done”… did I really mean that?

Can you imagine how God must feel? I can’t. Did your little one ever want to eat something that would make them very sick or even kill them? My grandkids and I were talking about blowing bubbles one day and they asked me what would happen if they drank the liquid. I, being full of exaggerated stories (that they love) stated that if someone drank it, every time they burped, bubbles would come out of their mouth. I get a call the next day; the oldest 2 were in trouble for talking #3 into swallowing the bubble water during a bubble blowing play time. She threw up (did not burp bubbles)... Oops. My daughter could not figure out what made them do that. (I did confess)

(See how easily I get side-tracked. Happens to me when I pray too).

When we see one of those little ones go to eat something or grab something that could hurt them, we stop them immediately. They don’t necessarily understand. They think they should have it… and if they don’t get it they start crying or stomping. We don’t give in to them for their own good even if it makes us feel bad that they are crying. We know better. I wonder sometimes if that is how God feels?

We, or I should speak just for myself, I whine and tell God what I think is best yet He knows the end from the beginning. He knows what the end result is before the result happens. And if He listened to me, I would probably be throwing up like my #3 granddaughter. What I want may turn out to be the worst thing that could happen to me.

Years ago I did a Bible study on the word wait. I found that instead of being a passive word, it is active. It is to be expectant of something to come.

Our society is one of instant gratification… and you have to admit it is everywhere in the United States (I cannot speak for other countries). Waiting annoys us. We get crabby in grocery lines, we shop online so as to avoid the Christmas crowds, and we get inpatient with slow service in a restaurant. And who enjoys waiting in a laundromat? We are just expecting it all as soon as possible!


But God is not trapped in our time line. He has His own that is not measured the way we measure. His timing is perfect. Which is why waiting on the Lord, is the best way. And I do find my best times of prayer is when I wait on Him to guide me and trust He knows the rest that lays heavy on my heart. I will wait upon the Lord, my soul waits and on His word I will put my hope (Psalm 130:5).

Another way I could put it is I will expect from the Lord from the depths of my soul and always with the hope I have found in His word.


(above is an original art print by EllieLee)

***********************************************
Here are some wonderful CAST Team members. Please take a few minutes to check out their shops and don't forget to heart!!




























Comments (11)

On May 17, 2010 at 1:03 AM , Vicki said...

Well, you waited and He came along and helped you as He always does. Lovely post and so true...we are so impatient, so sure that we know what is best for us and in reality, we are just foolish children who have no idea what is best for us. Thankfully, we have a Father who does. Thank you for using my artwork in your post! Great items that you chose to highlight too!

 
On May 17, 2010 at 4:31 AM , Julie Riisnaes said...

Great advice! Us UK folks find it just as hard to wait!

 
On May 17, 2010 at 6:58 AM , Robyn Curry said...

Wonderful Word!

There is always a interval between the promise and the preformance. This place can be a trying time for believers, but like Abraham, those who endure will obtain the blessing.

I don't mind waiting on the Lord.

Thank you for including my "The Shepherd David" piece. A great example on a Mighty Man of God who waited on the Lord.

God Bless,
Robyn (Creations By Curry)

 
On May 17, 2010 at 8:13 AM , sammysgrammy said...

This test I don't like. It's hard. I'm squirming. What is God taking so long about? He must've forgotten about me. Doesn't He see that I need this now? These are the things I wrestle with while waiting on God, all the while telling myself that His timing is perfect, He knows the plans He has for us, He is omniscient, only does good things. It's that "tug of war" that causes the tension that produces the strength. "they that wait.....shall renew their strength"

 
On May 17, 2010 at 8:53 AM , MYSAVIOR said...

One of my favorite things is to sit quiet and wait to hear the Lord!

♥♥♥

 
On May 17, 2010 at 9:36 AM , Sue Runyon said...

So, you're telling me that "wait" is not a four letter word?

It's hard for my finite mind to fathom that as much as we think we know what is best for our little children, being imperfect humans, our perfect father and creator knows completely and totally what is best for us.

 
On May 17, 2010 at 10:44 AM , button said...

Thank you for this wonderful post. There is a prayer example a good friend gave me. At the end you are supposed to sit quietly and wait one minute for the Lord to speak. It's so hard.
This is a wonderful song...Strenght will rise when we wait upon the Lord:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGPTK24hQxc

 
On May 17, 2010 at 12:16 PM , Lizzi said...

I loved this post. You're right on with the way we pray, I know it's true of me lol.

 
On May 17, 2010 at 12:16 PM , Lizzi said...

Oh...and thanks for putting up my post :-)

 
On May 17, 2010 at 10:20 PM , HeArts Ministry said...

"But God is not trapped in our time line. He has His own that is not measured the way we measure."

Just what I needed to hear to impress this in my heart. I loved everything about this post. The words, the art...it was all amazing!

 
On May 17, 2010 at 10:39 PM , J Honda said...

Beautiful Phyllis - it is living water reading your posts- really helps a lot ♥ thank you for taking the time and effort to write these - I know it can be tough, but it is worth it when He calls :D