“For you created my inmost being; I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body."
Psalm 139:12-16 (NIV)

By Phyllis Ducey of pfdoriginalartworks

DNA was known as early as the 1920s but it was not until the 1950s that the structure was determined after a great deal of research. It is made up of molecules of the sugar deoxyribose, phosphate groups, and nitrogen bases. The basic unit of DNA is made up of one of each. This unit is called a nucleotide and a molecule of DNA may consist of as many as 200,000 of them. The nucleotides make up two chains that are linked and twisted around each other in the form of a double helix.

Did you ever notice how DNA has the look of something that was knitted? As noted above it is made up of two chains that are linked and twisted around one another… reminds you a bit of knitting too, doesn’t it? I find it interesting that the words written through God’s inspiration by the psalmist David were recorded almost 3,000 years ago. God gave us insight then of how our DNA worked. He knew our knowledge at that time could not comprehend DNA so He gave us an illustration, not unlike the other word pictures He has given us in other psalms, proverbs and in Jesus’ parables. The scientists are beginning to understand what God had so simply explained to us all those years ago.

We were “woven” or knit together. It took man thousands of years to grasp the scientific meaning of those words. It has taken me a good part of my life to grasp the spiritual meaning of them. To realize that the creator of the universe cared enough about me to create me in my mother’s womb… to put together 200,000 nucleotides for each molecule of my DNA for me to be created is overwhelming. Truly I am fearfully and wonderfully made! I have knitted but I am not a knitter. I do know, however, that each stitch has to be placed just so with the equal amount of tension on the yarn to create the pattern you are trying to achieve. (I know this because I have not been able to successfully do it.) God has done that with each of us. He has created in us the pattern He wants to achieve, and then He grants us a free will to take what He has given us, allowing us the ability to do with it whatever it is we choose. What a choice!

I ask myself, what will I do with these millions of nucleotides (I really like that word)… what will I do with what God has created in me with them? I think that is going to be my next resolution that I am sharing with you, to put to use these millions of nucleotides to the Lord’s glory. Together we can see how that will work throughout this year

In the meantime, I encourage you to visit these wonderful knitters on Etsy. As you wear a knitted piece, keep in mind how fearfully and wonderfully you have been made!

Snowflakes Garland Scarf by DelightedHands3113


Gold Poncho by JoyfulHandsKnits


Watermelon Cotton Play Food by Fairtradefamily


Mohair Hat and Mittens by IraRott


Wool Pouch by ASADesigns


Blue Cotton Shrug by katjadesigns


Bookmarks by Mattscraftywife


Baby Hat by baruchslullaby


Red and Blue Cuff by Knitblitz


Neck Warmer by Nannasknitting

By Phyllis Ducey of pfdoriginalartworks

Comments (9)

On January 25, 2010 at 1:10 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Thanks so much, Phyllis. I have never thought about dna in quite that way.

 
On January 25, 2010 at 1:22 PM , Joyful HandKnits said...

Thanks for including my Little Girl's Poncho. Isn't the model adorable? She's my SIL's niece!

 
On January 25, 2010 at 1:31 PM , fairtradefamily said...

thanks so much for including my playfood. blessings, Tiffany :)

 
On January 25, 2010 at 1:55 PM , J Honda said...

Magnificent! Absolutely amazing the posts, the writing, the entire blog!! Thank you so much to every one who works so very hard at it!! It is GREATLY appreciated!

 
On January 25, 2010 at 2:34 PM , sammysgrammy said...

That is one of my favorite scriptures. I always imagine God sitting peacefully with a pair of knitting needles in His hands, carefully and thoughtfully knitting me. The scriptures say He knew me, loved me, chose me, before the foundation of the world!! What a God we serve. And He made us in His own image. Is it no wonder that I love to knit?

 
On January 25, 2010 at 3:06 PM , Unknown said...

Like Sue, I've never quite thought of this verse in this way. How beautiful! I love the image of God as a knitter. Thank you so much for this inspiring and uplifting writing...and thank you for featuring my pouch!

 
On January 25, 2010 at 4:31 PM , Nanna's Knitting said...

What a wonderful blog article! When I was expecting my daughter who is now 26,I was experiencing complications and concerned that I might lose this baby. My brother prayed over me at this time and as he was praying he quoted this verse. I have often shared with my daughter that this is a special verse for her. As a knitter it has also held special meaning for me. So imagine my excitement to see that my Neck Warmer is featured among these talented knitting artists thank you for including it here it was a wonderful day brightener to see it!

 
On January 25, 2010 at 11:36 PM , Kathleen said...

wonderful post! Love all the beautiful creations, too =)

 
On January 27, 2010 at 10:10 AM , Beantree Designs said...

I love the comparison, DNA and knitting. I've always thought it looks like an intricate beading pattern. Great knitted items.