Psalm 119:103
How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth


Recently some of the members of the Castteam were having a discussion about foods they avoid cooking simply because they don’t care for them. I do the same thing.  I do not like peas so they are rarely prepared. No one even thinks to ask me to make anything with mushrooms.  Thankfully, there are many other things that we all enjoy and we don’t lack variety in our diet.

Sometimes, however, we do tend to eat the same things over and over and neglect trying new things. This past weekend I was brave and tired She Crab Soup, not really knowing what was in it.  I found out - as I was eating - that it usually has crab eggs in it. If I would have known before hand, I would have chosen something else.  It was delicious though, so tasting something new and unknown turned out to be a good thing.

In our Christian life we tend to do the same thing with the Word of God.  We read the parts that we are comfortable with, ignoring the more difficult selections.  I love the book of Psalms, Proverbs, Genesis, John and several others.  They are easy to read, easy to find comforting verses and inspiring stories.  But what about Leviticus, Chronicles or Ezekiel? Tackling those books is a bit like getting a three year old to eat brussels sprouts.

Recently I decided to challenge myself with the book of Ezekiel. I have read it before but I approached it like it was dry bread crumbs. This time I wanted to learn, to understand, to glean a bit of wisdom. I am almost done reading it through for the second time in a row.  It’s a difficult book and there is much that I do not yet understand. But I have found some great nuggets of wisdom and encouragement.

Here are a couple of them -

God is our Shepherd - “For thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out.  As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day.”  Ezekiel 34:11-12

God is Powerful -  “And I will bring you out from the people, and will gather you out of the countries wherein ye are scattered, with a mighty hand, and with a stretched out arm, and with fury poured out.”  Ezekiel 20:34

I encourage you today to try something new from the menu of God’s Word.  Taste and see!

Psalm 34:8

O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

Karen W  of Ellie Marie Designs

Comments (0)