Let me begin by saying that I am in full understanding that 
not all who will read this Monday Devotion are ladies.  
We are so happy to have several men in our midst on this Etsy Team. 
However, I am interested in looking 
at some of the issues that face women
as they try to balance a cottage business, family, homes 
and friendships.

One of the most encouraging chapters 
in the Bible to me is Proverbs 31.
It is there where we find the "perfect" woman.
When one reads this chapter thinking that this lady 
was all of these things at 
one time it could be a bit intimidating.
O.k.  maybe more than a bit.

Perhaps this reflects the sum total of her life's work.

We find her to be:
- A good wife
- A hard worker
- A shopper (Yay!)
-An early riser
- Chief Chef for her home
-A gardener
- A generous person
- A seamstress
- A salesperson who makes income 
     selling the work of her own hands....
- A mother whose children respect her

Don't you think it is most excellent that 
God gives us this direct confirmation
that selling our creative works is a good thing?

I do.
Indeed.

However, I would encourage us to make sure, 
as this woman did, 
that our lives are in balance.

Let's strive to be the best wives, moms, grandma's,
 homemakers, cooks and gardeners we
can be as well as managing our businesses.

It is easy for someone like me to focus hard on one area and 
let the others go.
However, we will be much happier and serve ourselves and our 
families best when we keep things in their proper place.

If you are a mother of young children
I would encourage you to schedule regular breaks from your work
to enjoy those kiddos.
Include them in the work processes where you can.
They will learn valuable skills and will remember that you trusted
them with something that is so very important to you.
I love reading when my Etsy friends with young children give 
their youngsters their paper scraps or other such leftovers and allow
them to "work" alongside them.

If you are a wife who's husband works a stressful job, 
I would encourage you to do your best to schedule your 
work times around his coming and going.
He will be blessed if you are able to greet him 
and focus on him when he comes 
through the door.

If your division of responsibilities in your home make you the 
inventory control do your best to keep up with the necessary things
on our ongoing lists....
There will be so much less frustration for you and your family 
when you are not running out of things all of the time.

Serve your customers well by being aware of your 
real turnaround time and being up front with them 
if you see your work stacking up.
You'll breathe and sleep easier if you aren't worried that 
someone might leave bad feedback because you are too busy.
Communication is a wonderful thing.

We are so blessed to have the ability to set our own schedules.
We are highly self motivated people or we would 
not likely be here in the first place.

Let us strive to keep it in balance and watch our businesses grow, 
our families flourish and our homes become our havens.

From a work in progress:
Becky at GoodNeighborsCandle

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+31




Comments (7)

On March 17, 2014 at 10:28 AM , Unknown said...

Words of wisdom here. I am definitely always trying to balance it all. Thanks Becky for posting.

 
On March 17, 2014 at 10:58 AM , ifrog crafter said...

The best compliment that my hubby ever gave me was when he told me that i was his Proverbs 31 wife. I am so blessed. Thank you for this wonderful post.

 
On March 17, 2014 at 12:25 PM , The REAL EverSewSweet said...

Balance is so hard to achieve, yet is clearly what God wants for us. Nice post, Becky.

 
On March 17, 2014 at 1:37 PM , Unknown said...

Thanks for the thought provoking post.
Teresa

 
On March 17, 2014 at 3:15 PM , bananaorangeapple said...

Thanks Becky

 
On March 18, 2014 at 7:23 PM , Unexpected Treasure said...

Thanks for writing such an insightful post. I no longer have small children at home but I take care of a hubby with ESRD and my elderly father who has all sorts of health issues. Sometimes it's hard to juggle roles and get everything done. I pray daily and ask God for guidance on how to do it all. But sometimes I need to take time just for myself so I can be the best I can be to everyone else. Blessings, Anna

 
On March 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM , Handiworkin' Girls said...

One of our family's recurring topics of discussion - love this post. Thank you, Becky!