It is our pleasure to introduce Helen Bixby of HBixbyArtworks as this week's Featured Artist. Helen papercrafts bouquets, boutonnieres, and scrapbooks from her home in Washington.
 
Introduction to you: I have done crafting of some sort all my life. When we had 2 young children we felt I should stay home to raise them, so I established my own sign painting business. And took my tole painting to Christmas bazaars. I discovered scrapbooking in the late 80s, and began making cards and mini scrapbooks and going to an annual scrapbook convention with my girlfriends.
 
Giveaway item: winner's choice of one of my 1.25"-1.5" spiral rose bouquets which can be made either from maps or hymnal sheet music or book pages.

spiral rose bouquet vintage paper by HBixbyArtworks Helen Bixby
Spiral Rose Bouquet
To enter to win your own rose bouquet, please follow Helen Bixby on Pinterest or Facebook and comment on this blog post with your favorite item from HBixbyArtworks. The winner will be announced next Wednesday.
 
How did you get your start on Etsy? I have continued to participate in holiday bazaars with my creations, and my daughter thought we should list my extras on Etsy. So my Etsy store was birthed in the fall of 2010.

autumn leaves mini scrapbook by HBixbyArtworks Helen Bixby
Autumn Leaves Mini Scrapbook
 
How did you choose your shop name?  I named it Hbixbyartworks because my sign business was formerly called that.
 
What does a typical day look like for you? Typically I start out the day with a full pot of coffee, and sit down to check my shop. I answer emails and print orders off. I get a lot of custom bouquets for weddings, so it is really fun to see what everyone requests. I usually browse Etsy and shop some. Then I try to get out at least one or two orders, run errands, do as little housework as possible, and after dinner settle in to watch tv with dh and make more paper flowers. I stay up way too late doing this, but it enables me to then put them together the next morning with my coffee....once in awhile I get to just go in and make something new in my craft room too.
 

vintage sheet music rose bud boutonniere by HBixbyArtworks Helen Bixby
Vintage Sheet Music Rose Boutonniere
If you could be anywhere in the world for one day, where would it be? I have always dreamed of going to HI and will get there eventually.
 
What is your favorite Bible verse? My favorite Bible verse is in Isaiah 40:28-31 because when I was very sick I was reminded of that one in numerous ways, and had victory over the disease that was attacking me!
 

vintage atlas map paper rose bouquet by Helen Bixby HBixbyArtworks
Vintage Atlas Paper Rose Bouquet
What is your favorite listing to feature? One of my favorite items to feature is this bouquet, I love it!

Where else can we find you on the Internet?
Pinterest: HBixby
Facebook: HBixbyArtworks

 

Comments (3)

On September 25, 2013 at 4:46 PM , sammysgrammy said...

Very interesting - we've been talking about paper flowers this morning on the chat thread. I want to win the "giveaway"

 
On September 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM , sammysgrammy said...

Liked some of her flowers on pinterest - but couldn't find her page to "follow". Used - Helen Bixby, helenbixby. hbixbyartworks on facebook and pinterest.

 
On September 26, 2013 at 12:58 AM , Cynthia said...

Beautiful art! I really love the atlas bouquet. Thank you, for sharing!