Summing it all up, friends, I’d say you’ll do best by filling your mind and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious – the best, not the worst, the beautiful, not the ugly, things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and say and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most his most excellent harmonies, peace. Philippians 4: 8-9. The  Message Bible

On Sunday I played the drums on worship. I have only been playing for 2 1/2 years and began playing on worship about once a month a year ago. This summer I decided to take a break therefore it had been a few months since I played on worship. I have been expanding the use of the drums.  Practice went good.  During worship the first 2 songs were good then I lost it.  I felt all thumbs.  Our keyboard player, leader,  said to take a deep breath and stay on the high hat.  I got back into the groove, but I was disappointed that I couldn’t do what I wanted to. Immediately I started to dwell on the mistake, which I know won't help.  I had to keep playing.  In order to not loose it completely I stopped thinking about the mistake and played.
http://www.etsy.com/ca/people/DoodleGraphics
 The message ended on the verses above.  My old self, who was raised to be critical wanted to have a pity party during the message. I had to make a conscious effort to think on the positive which was; 
1) I only screwed up on that one set.  The beginning and the rest of it went well.
2) I am only a beginner.
3) I don’t play very often on worship and hadn’t played for a few months.  
4) Our church members will compliment you instead of discouraging you. 
Verse 9 in Philippians also says to practice these things.  The more we switch our thoughts from the negative to the positive the easier it becomes. The peace comes upon you and you might even learn to laugh. 

http://www.etsy.com/ca/people/ChewChewsCloset
When you smile the world smiles with you. When you frown, the world walks away.  Christians are supposed to lead the world. If we are more negative than positive who would follow us?  I would much rather hang out with some one who is laughing  and joking and enjoying life than some one who is always complaining about their life.

http://www.etsy.com/ca/people/GBMBdesigns
If you find yourself thinking negative remember for every situation there is a positive side.  Find it and practice on thinking the positive and the peace will be upon you and the world around you will be a better place to live in.


Comments (2)

On September 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM , KarenW said...

Great lesson! Proverbs 23:7a
"For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he"

 
On September 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Good message, Joyce. Thanks so much.