It is our pleasure to introduce Heather Sanders of PaperGemsbyHEMS as this week's Featured Artist. Heather creates colorful beaded jewelry from her home in Illinois. 

Introduction to you:

I am a teacher, believer, and crafter that lives in small town USA and wouldn't have it any other way. In my free time I love to make old things new and that's what I get to do at Paper Gems
 

Paper Mache Rainbow Beaded Bracelet by PaperGemsbyHEMS
Paper Mache Rainbow Beaded Bracelet
 

Giveaway: Team members can use CAST10 to get 10% off their purchase from Paper Gems through August 12th. 

 
How did you get your start on Etsy?

Paper Gems began with just a thought. I thought, after seeing some paper jewelry online, how much fun it would be to make some of my own jewelry. From there it grew. My younger siblings wanted it and then their friends wanted it. Soon a friend of mine suggested Etsy and here I am today. Most of my items are one of a kind and because of that you can know that you have a truly unique piece to add to your wardrobe or home. 

Recently, Paper Gems joined forces with DEESTRONG. DEESTRONG is a local organization that helps the local towns as well as raises money for kidney cancer awareness. I now carry jewelry that is specially designed in the DEESTRONG colors. The proceeds from the sale of these items goes directly to the DEESTRONG organization. I am excited to be able to help a local organization as well as the community.


deestrong beaded bracelet by PaperGemsbyHEMS
DEESTRONG Beaded Bracelet


How did you choose your shop name?
I chose my shop name because originally all of my items were jewelry and made of paper. The "Gems" part was chosen because it rhymes with my initials and gems are used to make jewelry. I thought it was a perfect fit. 

What does a typical day look like for you?
On a typical day I go to work where I teach grades 3, 4, 5, and 6 at a small Christian school in my town. After work you'll typically find me at home cleaning, crafting, or planning my next big project with the school. 

Quilled Paper Bead Ring Bronze and Brown by PaperGemsbyHEMS
Quilled Paper Bead Ring in Bronze & Brown


If you could be anywhere in the world for one day, where would it be?
If I could be anywhere in the world for one day I'd be in New Zealand at the set of the Shire. I love that they left it for all of us nerds to go and visit! Besides being able to fulfill my nerdiness the land looks stunningly beautiful! 

What is your favorite Bible verse?
My favorite Bible verse is Colossians 3:23. I'm pretty sure my students roll their eyes every time I mention it because I use it all the time. 

It says, "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily as to the Lord, and not unto men." I love that it calls us to put our very best out there. Afterall, we wouldn't do anything halfway if we were doing it directly for God. 
Faux Turquoise Rock Paper Bead Necklaces by PaperGemsbyHEMS
Faux Turquoise Rock Paper Bead Necklace

What is your favorite Etsy item listing to feature?
My current favorite listing is: https://www.etsy.com/listing/106473882/faux-turquoise-rock-paper-bead-necklace I love all of my Faux Rock line. 

Where else we can find you on the Internet?
Facebook: www.facebook.com/PaperGems
Twitter: @PaperGemsbyHems
Pinterest: pinterest.com/heatherlizmarie/

Comments (7)

On July 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM , sammysgrammy said...

Hi Heather - I'm Rita (sammysgrammy). It's nice to meet you. What fun it must be to make jewelry from paper - you never run out of supplies - it comes in the mail every day......

 
On July 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM , (Ri)Charmed said...

Very interesting jewelry!

 
On July 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM , Unknown said...

Heather, I love your jewelry and your shop is so cute.

 
On July 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM , KarenW said...

Fun shop!

 
On July 17, 2013 at 8:19 PM , ELAwithMs.Sanders said...

Thanks everyone! I love doing this!

 
On July 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM , Lizzi said...

It's amazing what you can do with paper! Your work is so cool!

 
On July 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM , ELAwithMs.Sanders said...

I'm learning more and more as I make more jewelry. Paper is so fun because you can manipulate it in so many different way!