PureRoxFaith

I don't always get this parenting thing right.
Most of the time my biggest struggle is fear and the lack of 
control that comes with having teenagers and young adults.

I guess when the children are younger it can seem as if 
we have more control.
The truth is while we can manage the physical comings
and goings of our children
even as toddlers they are already working hard 
to become self sufficient and separated from us.
It is what has to happen in order for them to grow up and 
operate in this great big world we live in.

Sometimes that causes distress to the heart of the parent
who just wants to protect their baby bird 
and not see them leave
the nest.

However, there is also much satisfaction 
in the job of 
parenting.

When we, as parents, see our young children begin
to care for those around them,
or as teenagers when they get involved in ministry.
As we hear our children pray asking God to be their Savior.
Such times of joy.

Most of the time we think we are the ones 
teaching our children the things they need to know
but so often they teach us.

An incident this week was just such a case.
Chelsea had been out with a group of friends 
playing Ultimate Frisbee.
When they left she had just one girl with her in the car
and they headed on their way home.

Apparently heady with adrenaline of a great game
Chelsea was not paying enough attention and 
went through a stop sign.
She simply did not notice it existed.

Fortunately the person coming the other way was 
an off duty State Patrolman and he was able to stop.
He got out of his car and gave her a serious talking to.

Now, some might have been upset if their child was 
spoken to in this way but I was so grateful.

When Chelsea returned home she was in tears.
Simply crushed.

I knew that anything I could have said couldn't have 
made her feel worse than she already did.

So, I told 
her that I knew it would make her more careful
the next time.
I told her how much I loved her and was thankful that 
she and everyone else who could have been hurt or killed 
were o.k.

A while later I was doing dishes 
and Chelsea came to 
the kitchen.
Her eyes were just so full of pain
and regret.
I simply asked, 
"Do you need a hug?"

She was very quick to say 
she did.

As we we embraced in the kitchen
Chelsea said:
"This must be what grace feels like."

Thud.

Melt my heart.

How many times have I grieved the Spirit to only have 
Him wrap me in arms of love and forgiveness
when I come to Him in my sorrow and pain.

Oh, the repentance was there in our little girl.
I pray that I am quick to repent.

But, I was reminded that evening....
grace.....it is a beautiful thing.

We mustn't take it for granted.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just
 to forgive us our sins, 
and to cleanse us 
from all unrighteousness.

Ephesians 1:6,7
To the praise of the glory of his grace, 
wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
In whom we have redemption through his blood, 
the forgiveness of sins,
according to the riches of his grace;


Thanks for reading.....Becky - Good Neighbors Candle Co.


Comments (6)

On April 15, 2013 at 7:57 AM , MYSAVIOR said...

Becky - this is so beautiful! You and Chelsea are so blessed.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On April 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM , sammysgrammy said...

It's not too cool to weep at work. This is where I am right now having just read your beautiful post. Wiping my eyes so I won't look too deranged sitting at the reception desk, staring at my computer.

Grace is astonishing - not getting what we do deserve and getting what we do not deserve.

 
On April 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM , Handiworkin' Girls said...

Precious words. Thank you, Becky.

 
On April 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM , (Ri)Charmed said...

Glad this ended the way it did. It's a lesson about God's protection too!

 
On April 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM , Sara/WormeWoole said...

Very moving...thank you for sharing this with us.

 
On April 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Amen. So glad all is well. What a sweetheart Chelsea is.