We say it all the time.
"Prayer Changes Things."

Does it?

Does prayer change things?
Change the path they were headed?
Does it make a difference?

I think so.

I don't think it is just a saying.
But I'd like to look at it just a bit 
differently.

I think prayer changes us.

When I was pregnant with our third child,
our last child, 
I was on bedrest from month 5 on.
It was a very long five months.
I watched the OJ Simpson trial from start to finish.
It was that long!

People came and watched my toddlers.
Others cleaned my house and brought meals.
I specifically remember one friend on her knees
cleaning out my oven.
Sigh....
I was so blessed.... and humiliated ...all at the same time.

But during those months when all ability to serve
physically was taken away God showed me a 
new way to serve others.
He taught me to pray.

One by one results of those prayers became evident.
A young couple found love after a mom and I 
prayed that they would realize how perfect they 
were for each other.
They were an unlikely couple due to an 
age difference but they truly were perfect for 
each other.

I delight in following them on Facebook today.
Happily married and with delightful children.
They are a reminder of the power of prayer.
Silly?
Maybe...but it blesses my heart to see a family
that God built. 
And if He used it to build my faith at the same time
all the better.

Lately there have been so many needs all around us.
Friends who are struggling financially,
relationship issues, 
spiritual needs, 
a growing church with growing pains, 
young people who are seeking the Lord
and being attacked by the enemy
and 
of course the usual health issues of 
my body and others.

So much to pray about.

So, my mom, mother in law and I have
committed to meeting on Mondays to pray.
I really felt the need 
and to do otherwise would have 
been disobedient.

I can tell you that prayer changes much.
I think it changes the one who prays
more than anything else.

In praying we are tuned in to our Heavenly Father 
in a very special way.
We are more inclined to watch for His work
in our lives.
When we watch for it....we see it!

Relationships that were broken 
sometimes become healed.
Sometimes you become healed and that broken 
relationship doesn't ruin your entire life.
Freedom comes in the letting go....
to His will.
Joy comes when He gives love that goes 
past the need to be right.
Prayer changes things....and people.

Our CASTteam thread is always 
full of prayer needs and praises.
It is a beautiful thing.

I think of the example of Jesus 
when he walked on this planet.
More than once we are told that 
Jesus prayed.

Imagine that....
Fully man, fully God.
And He prayed.

Then He left us with an example of prayer.
Sometimes it seems cliche...
but an entire series of study could go into 
this prayer....



"Our Father, 
Who art in Heaven.
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done.
On  Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
The power, and the glory.
For ever and ever.
Amen."

Prayer certainly does change things
and even better......

 It changes people!!

Like me, Becky, 
Just another person changed by prayer!




Comments (7)

On March 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM , Sheila said...

Agreed! Prayers are not just empty words, but words from our mouths to God's ears. They are sacred and each one is special to Him! Amazing to think He hears each one isn't it?

 
On March 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM , MYSAVIOR said...

Thank you, Becky. I know that prayer has changed me and I am so grateful to be receiving God's Grace in my heart.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On March 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Thank you, Becky. This is right along the lines I have been thinking lately. I need to do better with setting aside quiet time for prayer. I think I'm going to start doing it in the afternoons when I always start to lag--will be a good way to re-charge and re-connect.

 
On March 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM , bananaorangeapple said...

Almost every time I pray I thank God for listening to me. It's awesome that he cares

 
On March 18, 2013 at 8:14 PM , sammysgrammy said...

It's an awesome privilege, isn't it? And the fact that He's never too busy with other more important things, or He's never asleep, or on vacation, never wringing His hands trying to figure how to fix a problem. His is the answer, has all the answers, stop me - I could go on and on forever.........

 
On March 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM , jterkosky said...

Becky, thank you so much for this beautiful devotional this morning. I so agree that prayer changes things and it starts with how He changes us. I love that you have a regular prayer time with your mom and mother-in-law, what a blessing to your family and to the Lord.

 
On March 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM , GoodOldDaysTreasures said...

What a wonderful testimony and what a difference it absolutely does make in our lives when we choose to honor our great and mighty God by spending time in conversation with Him. When I become lax in my prayer life, it shows! And btw, you are certainly blessed to have a mother-in-law and mother with whom you can pray. That is awesome!