A former pastor introduced us to an answer
to that oft asked question....
"How are you?"

His response was always,
"Better than I deserve."

He said it was true and covered those days 
that he didn't want to get into the downers of life.
You see, this man and his wife knew about troubles.
They had lost two daughters to a mysterious
virus that took them one at a time
a couple of years apart.

Yet Pastor Keith had a spirit of calm and 
joy which was contagious.
Sure, he could be reflective and moody at times.
It happens to the best of us.
But the underlying and steady impression
you got from this man was one of genuine
gratitude and joy in the Lord.

He rejoiced daily in the Lord.
The work of the Lord in his life.
The strong upholding love of his Heavenly Father.

Sometimes the joy is right there bubbling over.
I'm so often caught off guard by unexpected joy
when the beauty of His creation catches my eye.

Other times we have to make a decision
to rejoice.
In those times we can access some 
of these ideas.....

We can always remember what He has saved us from.
The cost involved in our salvation.

We can purposefully
look at the beauty around us that is His creation.

We can enjoy the harmonies of the music around us.
Better yet, we can make the music!

We can spend time with Him in His word.
Being reminded of just how much He loves us.

We can find our joy through working with the colors
He created.
Painting....photographing...working our favorites
 into the decor in our homes.

All of these and more intentional activities
bring our Joy in Him
into focus.

Without Him 
we are nothing.
We have nothing.

So, my challenge to all of us today 
is to purpose in our hearts to 
REJOICE IN THE LORD.

We are all 
"Better than we deserve!"

Blessings,
Becky at Good Neighbors Candle Co.


Comments (7)

On February 18, 2013 at 8:36 AM , Donna said...

Such a beautiful writing for today. I will rejoice in the Lord today!

 
On February 18, 2013 at 8:56 AM , MYSAVIOR said...

I agree! God has given us Grace. More than we deserve.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On February 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM , krafterskorner said...

I like it when Dave Ramsey answers that way. :)

 
On February 18, 2013 at 9:09 AM , Cherry said...

Yes, awesome reminder, thank you!

 
On February 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM , bananaorangeapple said...

Thank you

 
On February 19, 2013 at 2:18 AM , Cynthia said...

This is a beautiful written piece. I read it, yesterday, and it touched my heart. Everyday, I truly recognize the wonderful gifts of love, mercy and grace, our Savior has given and continues to give to us. As undeserving as we are, He still loves us. Your Pastor Keith is correct: Better than we deserve. It is humbling to have a photo of one of my works included in this article. Be blessed and much love. ~Cynthia

 
On February 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM , Becky K. said...

Cynthia...I kept thinking how much I would like to have those coasters in my home to remind me daily to Rejoice! Beautiful!