...in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
1 Peter 3:15-16
I was recently challenged when my five year old lamented to me that she had been telling her best friend about Jesus, but that her friend just wouldn't believe it was all real.  After explaining to her that, although it is sad, there are many who will hear the good news and not believe immediately, if at all, I got to thinking about my lack of witness to those I come into contact with each day.


I look at these verses and think to myself, "Do I really set apart Christ as Lord in my heart?"  And am I always prepared to give an answer to those who ask about my faith?  I know I often feel that I don't have well thought out responses to people's questions or to debates about what many perceive as the "intolerance" or rigidness of the Christian faith.  I know that I may also not always answer "with gentleness and respect" as we are called to do in these verses.


Do you read these verses and find yourself challenged too?  So what are we to do to better put these words into action in our lives?  Reading God's word regularly and knowing what it has to say is a definite must do if we are to set apart Christ as Lord.  And you certainly can't give others answers if you don't know what God has to say in the Bible!  I think we also need to ask God for help with respect to these verses, and perhaps meet with fellow Christians to pray about it and help each other out.  How have you tried to live out 1 Peter 3:15-16 in your life?

Deb - dspdavey/Domum Vindemia







Comments (9)

On February 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM , sammysgrammy said...

I wish more people would ask about what I put my hope in. Peter tells us to be ready, as if he expected that question to come up often in our everyday life. Sad to say it doesn't. Perhaps it is not evident to non believers that there is any hope in my life.
I will pray for that hope to be evident to non believers and that they will have the courage to ask about it.

 
On February 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Beautiful items.

My mom, a nonbeliever, even when that hope is in her face, still does not believe. It saddens me so much. She says that she only does good things but sadly that is not how it works. As Max Lucado said this on TV this morning - we are all sinners and we need our SAVIOR, Jesus Christ.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On February 8, 2013 at 5:58 PM , Handiworkin' Girls said...

Gentleness and respect can be a hard thing to cultivate...we're studying the fruits of the Spirit, and there's so much to keep working on!

Love the crisp, white items. Thank you for including our circular rug!

 
On February 8, 2013 at 6:04 PM , Sue Runyon said...

So much to think about in those two little verses. Thanks so much, Deb.

 
On February 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM , KarenW said...

Beautiful items!

 
On February 9, 2013 at 12:51 AM , bananaorangeapple said...

I love the items you've chosen today.

 
On February 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM , krafterskorner said...

I always have an answer for them, but I need to do a better job of being the first to bring it up. At college they've drilled into me so much to accept all religions and beliefs that I am kind of afraid of offending someone. Guess I just need to get over it!

 
On February 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM , yellowroseaccents said...

Good to think about! Thanks for choosing my ring bearer pillow and all the other great items!

 
On February 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM , The Chubby Dove said...

thanks for including my bunny foo foo earrings. i pray your daughter continues to be bold in her faith and shines for Him.
xo