My dinning room
I feel I should be sharing this but am not sure how to start or not make it trite.  I mentor two women – V and T.  They have two very different personalities and are different places in their walk with the Lord.  V is in her 40s and T is in her late 20s inching close to 30.  We meet in my dinning room that has a little sitting area with two nice (though quite worn) high back antique chairs.  I meet weekly with them, V on Tuesday nights and T on Wednesday nights.

V and I have met for 2 years now.  It came about quite casually in conversation that she would love to have someone meet with her and I have a heart for working with women to help them grow in the Lord.  Our meetings started the following week. V struggled through the first year not being able to absorb the Words of God easily and certainly not being able to grasp Biblical concepts well.  We discussed that she possibly had ADD problems and I credited much to that.  Though she was not absorbing the Word without much effort we could see how she progressed in her walk with the Lord.  V struggled with her husband.  They talked rudely and sarcastically to each other. We reviewed that in Ephesians (5:33) God through Paul tells wives to respect their husband and we prayed she could find ways to respect him no matter how small they may seem.  We reviewed her victories each week…how often she read the Bible, how often she prayed, did she have a kind word to say to her husband, did she succeed in not gossiping at work, etc.  All the little things we struggle with daily that add up to straying from the Lord or drawing closer to Him
Victory Prayer Shawl by CrochetNFaith

When she felt guilty for not praying, reading or being kind to her husband I stressed that she needed to let go of the guilt.  That Satan would love for her to condemn herself and immobilize her by making her feel like a failure.  That is why I always emphasize learn from our slip ups, focus on our victories.  Let God have the glory.

Our little spot in the two old worn chairs became a place of security to V and awe to me.  I saw God work in many ways that it is almost too overwhelming to explain.  I think of Jesus’ disciples who tried to write a synopsis of His ministry and I understand how overwhelming that must have been.  And in my own little way relate to John who wrote:
rockislanddesigns

Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written. John 21:25


Some time after we had been meeting over a year, she shared that she was not convinced she was going to heaven.  This puzzled me because I had been confident in her salvation but she wasn’t.  The next meeting we walked through the “*Romans Road” topped off with John 3:16.  (If you are not familiar with these verses, they are at the end of this article.)
Mirror by hotdogcrafts

I had V read each verse out loud several times.  And I ask her questions after each.  Is this the truth?  How do you know that?  She affirmed Yes and that God does not lie.  I’d ask if God was the same yesterday, today and tomorrow?  Yes.  When we reached John 3:16 I continued to ask the same questions and added: Are you going to heaven?  She said yes.  Then I asked why.  She stated she believed in Jesus and confesses her sin.  I’d say again and she would reread the verse…followed by the same questions.  We did this possibly 6 or 7 times when she said “I feel warm all over”.  V visibly looked different.  A peace had descended on her.  It was a beautiful sight and a privilege that God allowed me to be a part of. 

Now before you begin thinking that I am a person who believes in “feelings” or emotional experiences to know God is working, I am not.  I never had an experience such as V that reassured me of my salvation.  I have full confidence in my salvation through my belief in Christ.  I strongly feel it is a gracious blessing of the Lord when we get that feeling of being encompassed by Him but it is not a necessity to faith. 

1865 Bible by WestwardGifts
After that day, V changed.  She had a hunger and thirst for God’s Word.  Passages that she struggled with were clear to her.  It was as if her mind had been in a fog and the Spirit of the Lord brought clarity to her.  Each week is an awesome experience seeing how God works in her life and during our time together.  He will grant me words and insights that specifically speak to where V is at that day. As we read God’s word, He brings it to life how it applies to her (and me).

V’s life is in change.  I had her write her goals down a while back and we review them each week.  One was to find a new career…it just happened last week.  Another was to re-build a relationship with her husband…she has found “fun” and joy in her relationship with him.  Her primary goal of drawing closer to God is unfolding before us weekly. 

And one of the goals I presented V with when we first began meeting is that one day she will invest in another woman as I have with her and become the mentor.  Last week was the first time she said she thought she could do it!  How great is that?

From 7 to 9pm on Tuesday nights I am blessed incredibly.  I almost feel those worn out chairs are sacred ground for God works in a mighty way when V and I sit, talk about the week, read God’s Word and pray together.  What makes it even more special is on Wednesday nights at the same time in the same chairs, God meets with T and I with still more amazing results! (That will be a post for another day.)

My soul praises the Lord!

God Bless,
Phyllis Ducey
pfdoriginalartworks

Klipboard by kuteklipboardsbyamy
*The "Romans Road" are selected verses from the Bible that give you a quick Biblically solid path to salvation through Christ.  They are: Romans 3:23, 6:23, 10:9-10 and I add John 3:16 




Comments (9)

On September 24, 2012 at 12:28 AM , Unknown said...

What a beautiful post! You have blessed these woman greatly by coming along side them and caring and sharing just as Jesus did! How wonderful that one lady will now be able to pass this gift on to others. Thank you for sharing your experience here.

 
On September 24, 2012 at 12:57 AM , pfd said...

Laurie, it is my prayer that they both will! Thank you for you kind comments.

I share this not so you may think highly of me but so that you may see how mighty God can work even in my worn out chairs! And my hope is that some one else may say..I could do that too.

 
On September 24, 2012 at 8:07 AM , Sue Runyon said...

What a blessing you must be to these ladies. Thank you for sharing your experience for many reasons. For one thing it shows many of us the possibilities in mentoring or being mentored. I think that is something we don't think about too often.

 
On September 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM , SHEILA said...

Thank you so much for telling this story. You are indeed blessed, and so are the other ladies for having someone take the time with them to help explain God's word and all He has to offer. Wish everyone had a Phyllis in their lives.
PS-If you ever want to get rid of those chairs, give me a call (Lol).

 
On September 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM , Anonymous said...

Great article! It is so amazing to watch others grow in the Lord. I also find talking about God's word and His work in my life also helps me to grow and makes Biblical principles more sure in my mind.

 
On September 24, 2012 at 11:02 AM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Thank you so much for sharing this, Phyllis! We NEED to read these things....Victories in Jesus!!

 
On September 24, 2012 at 2:11 PM , sammysgrammy said...

Phyllis, I'm reminded of the scripture, "let the older women teach the younger women how to love their husbands" (paraphrased because I dont have my bible with me ATM). I feel like it's a principle of the Kingdom. What a privilege this is for both you and the protege', that you get to help them fulfill the wonderful destiny they have in Christ and that they are able to soak up the wisdom that the Lord has deposited in you. It's like you are transferring the mantle. Not that you no longer wear it but that it is multiplication (another Kingdome pronciple. Like Elisha - a double portion ..........

 
On September 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM , Handiworkin' Girls said...

Thanks for sharing these pertinent Scriptures. Review is always a good thing and nothing is better than recalling God's goodness!

 
On September 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Phyllis - words fail me.

Your words just shine with God's love.

♥♥♥
Sue