I love wooden spoons! I am so thrilled to be able to introduce you to our Featured Artist DJ Remington of  Fort Remington Wood Spoons.  Tell us about yourself, DJ.
I'm a 5th generation wood worker, but the first female in the lineage. I've been in the wood shop all my life but started selling spoons 3 or 4 years ago. I have been doing this full time for over 2 years. I am very blessed to be able to do what I love and spend time with my family. My husband has always believed in me and encouraged me....without him I would still be at my desk job.

How did you get your start on Etsy?
My cousin, who is an amazing glass artist, told me about etsy. I signed up but didn't really take it seriously at first. I'm so glad I finally paid attention to it. Etsy is a great market now!


Is there story behind your shop name?
We live in the country on the property that my Granddad farmed when I was growing up. His last name was Fort. With our last name of Remington....we always called our home Fort Remington. It just made a perfect name for my business as well!

Tell us about your typical day.
First thing in the morning, I do my "Etsy work". I answer convos, respond to orders and see what's happening on my Etsy teams. Then I walk to the wood shop (across the cow pasture to my parents' house). I work there until the afternoon when I come back home with my creations. Then I do the hand sanding and apply finish. Then I do my packing and shipping, process credit card orders and visit with whatever family members are around. At night I sometimes work on my personal web site or maybe make an Etsy treasury. I am never really finished working! I love my job!


If you could be anyplace in the world, where would it be?
On a tropical island with my husband!

What is your favorite verse?
Proverbs 3:5-6 5 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."

What is your favorite item in your shop?
I like this wedding cake set because it makes a cute, rustic cutter and server for a wedding but also can be used after the wedding for cooking, stir frying, cutting cakes, pies, cornbread and pizza. A great reminder of their special day!


What other places may we find you on the internet?
My personal website: www.fortremington.com
Three Sister's Marketplace: www.threesistersmarketplace.com/fortremington
I also do craft shows in FL, GA and even one in TN. I love doing shows because you get to meet your customers!

DJ has graciously offered a giveaway of her 

Mixer Scraper Kitchen Gadget.



To enter to win, go browse DJ's shop Fort Remington Wood Spoons and then tell us your favorite item in your comment.  Only those who share their favorite item will be entered in the drawing.

Thank you so much for sharing with us, DJ! Your work is beautiful and I want everything in your shop. 

blessings,
Zuda Gay Pease

Comments (12)

On August 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

DJ, I love your work...so lovely and so useful!

 
On August 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM , Crafty Mommas said...

AWESOME shop!

this might be my favorite

http://www.etsy.com/listing/93271532/natural-rustic-shelf-with-bark-and-coat

 
On August 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM , Sarah said...

Beautiful items! I love wooden spoons that are very thin on the end, so I really like her Sauce Spoon in Cherry Wood - looks like something I'd use a lot. Thanks for the giveaway!

 
On August 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM , Sheila said...

Wow, I like everything in this shop. I think I like this gravy spatula, would be great to scrape those bits off the pan to make gravy.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/81235989/gravy-or-sauce-paddle-cherry-wood

Now if I could just make good gravy, I'd be set!

 
On August 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM , Cynthia said...

Love your work! It is truly beautiful! Many blessings!

 
On August 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM , sammysgrammy said...

This is my favorite item in DJ's shop

http://www.etsy.com/listing/103709478/salad-claws-set-server-tongs-eucalyptus

 
On August 1, 2012 at 7:15 PM , The REAL EverSewSweet said...

I love wooden utensils. They make me feel like a better cook than I really am. LOL My favorite is
http://www.etsy.com/listing/88459802/wood-toaster-tongs
because even I can't mess up toast!

 
On August 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM , Julia Badgley said...

I'm going to say the crepe spatula for my fav.
So happy, DJ, that you've been able to make your craft into a full time job!

 
On August 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM , Julia Badgley said...

I'm going to say the crepe spatula for my fav.
So happy, DJ, that you've been able to make your craft into a full time job!

 
On August 2, 2012 at 9:20 AM , bananaorangeapple said...

I would love to win anything from your shop!
My favourite cooking tool is a wooden wok stirrer, I use it when I make chilli beans, risotto, stirfry, sauteing the onion - pretty much every day.

If I had to pick one it would be the toaster tongs for DD, or maybe the large dutch oven spoon..hmmmm you can surprise me!

 
On August 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM , DJ Remington said...

Thank you so much everyone! I am SO honored and thank you for your comments. Thanks to Zuda too for all your hard work! I love this team!

 
On August 10, 2012 at 9:15 AM , Unknown said...

Wow, just visited this shop. So many cool utensils.
I like this piece,and about 10 others!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/89204035/hamburger-shovel-spatula-cherry-wood