Hoop Art by sewfaithful
Necklace by SissyPretties
 The 2012 Olympics are in full swing as I write this. All over the world TV's, IPads and IPods are tuned in to see who will win and who hopes will be dashed.  Part of what makes them so fascinating are the stories of their journey to make it there.  I personally am not very athletic (which is an understatement) and find the athletes amazing.
 Their dedication to their sport and perseverance could be an example to us as Christians.
Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. — 1 Corinthians 9:25-27
 I watched tonight a young athlete who was devastated because she did not make it past the trials.  She had been a world champion in her sport with the hopes of culminating her hard work by winning a medal in the Olympics.  My heart broke for her as I thought of the years of sacrifice and persistent training it took to get her there.  This was her goal... her focus...her life.  It was gone in a matter of minutes as one of her teammate's scores exceeded hers.
Acrylic Coyote by thearrowmaker1

My goal, my life is to run it for God.  The Olympics sometimes convict me because I know  my goal is so much greater and is not as fickle as a missed step in a sport yet I do not put in the hours of dedication that an Olympian puts into their training.  I am so thankful we have a God who is so gracious to us!  He is not giving me points off for when I make a mistake or stumble and fall.  Instead He calls me to come near to Him and He comes nearer to me.  When I make a mistake He tells me, once confessed my sins are gone to Him.

as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. Psalm 103:11-13
We, as Christians are blessed with the greatest prize of all... God's love through Christ.  At the end of our race, we will have an eternal award... it will never be misplaced, tarnished or fade.

Amazing Grace by bethstonestudio
And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith —and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—  not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:6-9

As I continue to watch the Olympics, I think I will take a little time to take stock of the race I am running.  Reassess my priorities, renew my focus and strengthen my determination for my God is greater than anything of value in this world!
I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders, I presented to them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. I wanted to be sure I was not running and had not been running my race in vain. Galatians 2:1-3
God bless!

Comments (15)

On July 30, 2012 at 7:49 AM , bananaorangeapple said...

Thank you. Lots to think about here.

 
On July 30, 2012 at 8:22 AM , Sue Runyon said...

I'll take eternal life with our God over a gold metal any day. Thanks Phyllis.

 
On July 30, 2012 at 8:58 AM , Sheila said...

Ditto-what Sue said! Thanks Phyllis, such a timely post :)

 
On July 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Wonderful post, Phyllis! I love watching the Olympics. I so want to run my race - strong to the finish.

 
On July 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM , Unknown said...

Hello, this is a wonderful post:) I was trying to find an rss feed so I could receive the blog as an email. would it be possible to add that? keep up the great work!

chrissy

 
On July 30, 2012 at 2:00 PM , The REAL EverSewSweet said...

Wow! Convicted by the Olympics! Great post, Phyllis. Thank you!

 
On July 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM , LittleElf said...

Wonderful, loved the message and all the pics as well. ^_^

 
On July 30, 2012 at 2:16 PM , Unknown said...

Wonderfully stated Phyllis! You deserve the gold. As Christians may we always strive to run the good race.

 
On July 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Phyllis - This is such an awesome message because God will never fail us.
Thank You!
♥♥♥
Sue

 
On July 31, 2012 at 1:41 AM , Pearl @ Play said...

Thank you for the encouragement, Phyllis!

 
On July 31, 2012 at 6:48 PM , sammysgrammy said...

So timely and current. Great comparisons. St. Paul used the same analogy. People understood it. It made sense to them. And still does.

Thank You

 
On July 31, 2012 at 9:17 PM , Kelly Bermudez said...

What a wonderful post!

 
On August 1, 2012 at 7:44 AM , AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

wonderful post! well said!

 
On August 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM , Aloquin said...

I agree with everyone- this indeed is a wonderful post. Well written and to the point. Great job!

 
On August 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM , Faith Caroline said...

Lovely post and a good reminder!