When my heart was grieved
and my spirit embittered,
 I was senseless and ignorant;
I was a brute beast before you.
 Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand. 
You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will take me into glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.  
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.
Those who are far from you will perish;
you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.
But as for me, it is good to be near God.
I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge;
I will tell of all your deeds. 
Psalm 73:21-28


With the anniversary of my dad's passing fast approaching, and an extremely hectic schedule coupled with very sick children, my heart has been grieving and I have been feeling down and anxious.  But when my church Bible study small group studied Psalm 73 last week, I was comforted by the verses we read and the lessons we learned from the passage.  Just briefly, the psalm speaks of a believer's struggle as he battles with his perception that the wicked appear to prosper while he, a servant of the Lord, suffers.  By the end of the psalm, the psalmist concludes that the Lord gives comfort and refuge to His people and that there is no better one to serve than the one and only God.  So I pray this week that, whatever your current situation, you may be encouraged and comforted by these verses, knowing God's love and faithfulness in your life and having a heart which is eager to tell the world of His deeds (verse 28).



Comments (10)

On June 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Lovely finds and scripture and thoughts. Hugs to you, Deb. We never stop missing those parents who have passed.

 
On June 22, 2012 at 8:24 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Deb - a year already! I am so glad that you can find some comfort in the Scriptures.

Love to you!
♥♥♥
Sue

 
On June 22, 2012 at 8:44 PM , The REAL EverSewSweet said...

A beautiful Psalm, and beautiful Etsy finds.

 
On June 22, 2012 at 8:59 PM , sammysgrammy said...

We sing parts of that psalm - so comforting......

 
On June 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM , Sheila said...

Beautiful scripture and sentiments. thanks for sharing with us Deb. God Bless your family.

 
On June 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM , Cynthia said...

Deb, whenever I am troubled, I seek solace in His Word. And, soon, the Lord's healing balm feels my heart and relieves my soul. My heart and prayers are with you. I lost my father several years, ago, and at times, it breaks my heart, but I know who holds and keeps him. I know that he is at HOME and at PEACE...a peace that can only be experienced with the Father. Many blessings to you. ~Cynthia

P.S. Thank you, for choosing my coasters!

 
On June 23, 2012 at 9:03 AM , circleinthesand said...

Wow, it's already been a year....goodness! I know it's been a rough time for you, but isn't it wonderful to be able to find such comforting scriptures as these! I intend to sit down and read this chapter myself, cos I can tell it was intended for me to see it this week. Thank you Deb!!

 
On June 23, 2012 at 9:09 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Thank you Deb. Prayers of comfort and consolement for you and your family.

 
On June 23, 2012 at 8:50 PM , cksilver said...

Deb, so sorry about your dad's passing. I'm so grateful for God's love and encouragement through the Bible. Praying for you and your family. (and thanks for featuring my Psalm 23 bracelet - what a sweet surprise!)

 
On June 26, 2012 at 3:20 PM , Anonymous said...

Praying your heart is full of joy and comfort, even in the midst of sadness. Amazing how Jesus can give us that peace that passes all understanding!

Thanks for featuring my print!
Shelli