by Anna of UnexpectedTreasure

But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. 1 Corinthians 6:17 (KJV)

In the book of 1 Kings Chapter 22, when King Ahab assembled his four hundred prophets and asked their opinions as to whether or not he should go to war against Ramothgilead, the prophets were all in agreement and said yes, even predicting victory. But Ahab's ally, King Jehoshaphat, desired a second opinion, and he called for Micaiah, prophet of the Lord.

The messenger who summoned Micaiah urged him to agree with the other prophets, but Micaiah responded, "As the LORD liveth, what the LORD saith unto me, that will I speak.” 1 Kings 22:14 (KJV). When Micaiah prophesied defeat and ruin for Israel, he was hit in the face and ridiculed by the other prophets, then sent to prison with nothing to eat except bread and water. But lo and behold, his prophecy came true, and King Ahab was killed in battle.

This passage presents a powerful challenge in this day and age of almost non-existent ethics and morals. How will we respond when everyone else around us is saying something's right when we know good and well it's not? Will we take a stand for what we believe, even when it risks ridicule or personal loss?

As disciples of God, there are times when we must step out from the crowd and take a stand for the truth of God. Everybody else may be doing it; everybody else may be saying it; everybody else (even other Christians) may be calling it right, but if the Word of God says otherwise, you and I must not be swayed by the foolishness of this world.

Food for Thought:
God calls us to live on the basis of conviction, not convenience.

By Anna M. Costa

Thanks so much to Anna for being our Guest Blogger today!



Comments (14)

On February 27, 2012 at 8:44 AM , Cherished.Wife said...

Great reminder, Anna! Thank you...you wouldn't know (but God would), that I needed encouragement, and your Food for Thought was perfect. Thank you again.

<3, Emily

 
On February 27, 2012 at 9:05 AM , Julia Badgley said...

Very good!

 
On February 27, 2012 at 9:37 AM , Donna (Twinmountainpottery) said...

Great post Anna. Sometimes I struggle with stepping out of the box and standing up in what I believe in with a certain craft show vendor I know. She is always running down our country and Christians in general because she doesn't like her sister in law who works for Focus on The Family in Colorado Springs. I finally realized I wasn't standing up for what I believe in when I stood by and let her put down what I believe in. I felt so much better letting her know I am a firm believer and didn't care to have a conversation with her if she continued to belittle what I believe in. She still talks to me but no longer puts Christians down to me. Maybe God can use me to witness to her. Your post reminds me to stand strong in my belief.

 
On February 27, 2012 at 9:41 AM , Sheila said...

Thank you for this message. I wish our politicians could read it! And Donna, I applaud you for having the courage to speak up.

 
On February 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM , Meghann said...

Words of wisdom, thank you. I have a hard time standing up for what I believe in. I think years of bullying sort of affected me that way. But I am trying to get better at having a backbone. I think that sometimes we have to have more courage than the next person when it comes to sticking to our morals and ethics... Perhaps I need to think more about my heavenly home more when I am tempted to go with the crowd :)
Thank you for posting this. I really appreciate it!

 
On February 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Thanks so much, Anna. It's a pleasure having you on board as a guest blogger. We love guest bloggers and I appreciate the message you are conveying today.

 
On February 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM , (Ri)Charmed said...

You know Micaiah was a prophet to God's people and people who knew and were supposed to follow God's laws. We often think that ranting at people who do not believe in Jesus and have not accepted the principles taught in the Bible will accomplish something. That doesn't mean we go with the flow, but I don't think we can hold the unsaved to the same standard that we have chosen to live. I think your point applies really well to how we behave with fellow Christians and people who claim the name of Christ though.

 
On February 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM , bananaorangeapple said...

Good job Anna!
Be strong and courageous!

 
On February 27, 2012 at 4:00 PM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Great devotion, Anna! Thank you so much for sharing with us.

 
On February 28, 2012 at 3:06 AM , JulieandMax said...

Wow Anna; what a great reminder to honour God at all times :)

 
On February 28, 2012 at 7:20 AM , the butlers pottery said...

Thank you for this devotion.

I agree with Charmed that we don't bible thump as this turns non Christians away, but a few weeks ago during a conversation I mentioned God healed me and I was told by the non Christian to stop saying the word God in his presence. I do not mention God very often but if the Lord moves me then whom shall I bow down to this man or God. I have also had Christians chastise me for speaking truth. I still do and God has blessed me and sent me to a church that does do the truth. It is hard standing for the truth but as the disciples told Jesus "Where else could we go."

 
On February 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM , myeuropeantouch said...

John 8:32
And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
Thank you Anna....

 
On March 1, 2012 at 2:21 PM , Unexpected Treasure said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. This message was spoken from my heart. I've been in this position more times than I care to count. And I admit that sometimes I spoke up and others I didn't even when I knew I should. But God placed this conviction on my heart and I knew I had to share this with others.

 
On March 3, 2012 at 12:50 PM , Anonymous said...

I've been blessed by this! Thanks Anna!