Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness. 
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
Philippians 2:5-8 (NIV)


As Christmas rapidly approaches I am reminded yet again of just how amazing it is that God chose to send his only son to earth to be the saviour of sinful man.  Especially amazing is the humility and sacrifice which mark what Christ has done for us.  Jesus, who was "in very nature God", made himself nothing, made himself a servant and humbled himself to an excruciating, degrading and humiliating death.


And one can't read these verses without being challenged by the very first sentence, "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus..."  We are to emulate the humility that Christ has modelled for us so forcefully.  I don't know about you, but I can really, really struggle with showing humility.  While I don't have any earth shattering solutions, we can always seek the Lord's help and study what his word has to say on the subject.  We can also think of those we know who show great humility, and thank God for them and their godly example.  So as we remember Christ's birth this Christmas, let us seek to follow his humble example.

Deb - dspdavey







Comments (12)

On December 2, 2011 at 10:08 AM , Bing ReMade said...

Thanks for the reminder, great post!

 
On December 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM , MarveLes Art Studios said...

SWEET!

 
On December 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM , Anonymous said...

that is what Christmas is all about.

 
On December 2, 2011 at 10:55 AM , LittleElf said...

Wonderful post, thanks so much for sharing. ^_^

 
On December 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Such an awe inspiring verse and so fitting for the season.

Deb, you are a genius at putting together amazing items in a post.

 
On December 2, 2011 at 12:21 PM , krafterskorner said...

I sometimes struggle with humility too.

 
On December 2, 2011 at 3:13 PM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

I LOVE Philippians 2! I memorized it a long time ago and repeat it to myself often. Maybe someday I will actually get better at living it. Beautiful finds!

 
On December 2, 2011 at 4:22 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

I strive every day to be like Jesus. What He would want me to be like. Not always successful.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On December 2, 2011 at 9:27 PM , The Strawberry Hill said...

thank you for featuring my headband, but more importantly, for sharing your words. To think that our attitude should be like that of our Lord is a daunting task; but it's something worth striving towards! :)

 
On December 2, 2011 at 9:57 PM , Vicki said...

Thank you for sharing this verse and reminding me of the importance of striving for Christ-like humility and obedience to my Father in Heaven each and every day as I grow in my relationship with the Lord.

 
On December 3, 2011 at 12:07 AM , Theresa from Another Woman's Treasure said...

Deb,

Thank you so much for featuring my handmade necklace and my shop here on this blog that the Lord has placed it upon your heart to write! I am truly humbled by your kindness, and I strive to be Christ-like also and be kind, and yet so many times, we all fail to measure up! I thank God that even though I fail so miserably, that He loves me anyway, and sent His Son, Jesus, to us. Not only did He make Himself nothing in order to become a servant and example for us and die an excruciating death, even at this time of His birth, He didn't come to us born of a queen in a comfortable place, but, as a small, helpless, seemingly insignificant child of an obedient carpenter and his virgin wife. Jesus was wrapped in swaddling, not silk, and laid in a manger in the humbleness of a barn full of animals.
It is my hope that we can all keep this in mind as we seek to celebrate this holiday, that we are celebrating the birth of God's greatest gift, and His obedience til death. It's really that simple! It is something I hope each of us remembers and cherishes in our hearts as the hustle and bustle gets more and more feverish for some people, that we need to keep it simple as possible and humble ourselves in hope, reverence, and awe of our awesome God! Please make a conscience effort to perform Random Acts of Kindness (RAKs)! God's Blessings on all!

Kind Regards,
Theresa

 
On December 3, 2011 at 9:39 AM , Taylor said...

very nice... lovely items..