by Cindy of cksilver

Meet Derek Collins of watercolorsbyderek (watercolor) and derekcollins (acrylics)

Derek is giving away this beautiful "Owls Head Lighthouse" ACEO miniature painting (2 1/2 inches x 3 1/2 inches). To be eligible for the prize, please go to his shop and look around. Pick your favorite item and come back here and leave a note telling us which is your favorite. Be sure to leave us your email address too so that we can contact you if you are a winner. The winners will be chosen via random.org.

Introduction
I live in the real Memphis, Memphis Indiana that is, with my wife Stacy and two sons, Ryan and Tyler. At the age of 27 I suffered a severe back injury and was off work for 4 months. While bedridden I saw Bob Ross doing painting demonstrations on PBS. After 7 weeks I was on my feet again, but still unable to go back to work. I bought some oil paints and started painting. Within 6 months I started selling paintings. I have been doing art shows across the country for 20 years now. Ten years ago I went full time and we bought the house in Memphis and I built a Studio/Gallery behind the house.

Not that I have any spare time, but when I do I might slip off to the lake to go fishing. I tell my wife I'm providing food for the family. I coached some basketball for a few years and I sometimes give painting lessons. Recently an artist group formed at my church. Some of us are occasionally called on to paint a painting during the service to go along with the sermon. That has been a lot of fun.

How did you get started on Etsy?
I had been selling on Ebay for a couple years and I was doing a art show when one of the promoters asked me if I had ever tried to sell on Etsy.

What does a typical day look like for you?
Since I am a coffee snob, I start the day with 2 cups of French Pressed coffee. My cup is actually a large Rootbeer mug! But I can honestly say I only had 2 cups. That is the only consistant thing I do each day. None of my days are alike. I have been told that I can't multi-task, which may be true because I paint in binges. I may paint almost non stop and late into the night for a week, then I am totally drained of creative energy and unable to paint at all. So then I start framing, or taking pictures and putting paintings on-line. From April through September I am traveling to art shows so that really complicates things as I might only be home a few days of any particular week.

If you could be anywhere in the world for one day, where would it be?
Alaska, watching the bears catch salmon.

What is your favorite Bible verse?
Isaiah 1:18 "Though your sins may be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow".

What is your favorite Etsy item listing to feature?
That's tough, my favorite thing always seems to be what I painting now.

Where else can you find Derek on the web?
Blog - A painting each day: http://artistderekcollins.blogspot.com
Blog - Derek talks art and painting lessons: http://artistderek.blogspot.com
Etsy watercolor store site: http://watercolorsbyderek.etsy.com
Etsy acrylic store site: http://derekcollins.etsy.com
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Artist-Derek-T-Collins-Acrylic-and-Watercolor-paintings/46041664715
Derek tweets art: http://www.twitter.com/artistderek

And the winner of last week's giveaway is... Julia of CardsbyJeweleighaB. Julia has won a lovely canvas doorhanger of her choosing from LeeAnn Gorman of designsbyleeann. Look for convos to each of you!

Comments (7)

On November 30, 2011 at 5:19 PM , Kim Hamlin said...

I think Derek is very talented, as are many of the Cast Team members! My favorite painting of Dereks is the original watercolor painting storm barn Fall clouds rural country 10x14. I live in Alendale Michigan and this painting resembles my Grandpa's 1910 barn. As a chld, we'd help farm the 13 acres, climb around in the old barn with the Llamas & cows and swim in the pond. Grandma is gone now, but I still visit Grandpa every week and see that old barn. This picture brings back those great memories spent there! What a great beauty Derek! www.Etsy.com/shop/KimsVintageDesigns

 
On November 30, 2011 at 5:24 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

I don't think I could truly choose a favorite since I love them all but I am very drawn to this one.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/24688108/original-watercolor-painting-autumn-fall

♥♥♥
Sue
milagros0114@gmail.com

 
On November 30, 2011 at 5:49 PM , SHEILA said...

Wow, I can't believe you learned to paint from watching a tv show! Your work is awesome.
I love this painting of the trees and snow.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/38469674/24-in-original-canvas-acrylic-painting

 
On November 30, 2011 at 11:19 PM , LittleElf said...

Wow, I love your work! So nice to meet you too. ^_^ Your Seasons Landscape Country road woods painting is a favorite, so pretty!

Hugs,
Elfie

 
On December 1, 2011 at 9:06 AM , krafterskorner said...

Wow, your work is awesome! This is my favorite.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/68196916/original-acrylic-abstract-landscape

krafterskorner21@yahoo.com

 
On December 1, 2011 at 10:12 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Great to learn about you and your art, Derek!

 
On December 2, 2011 at 3:18 PM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Beautiful work, Derek! Wow! I have too many favorites, I can't seem to pick one. I do really like the the ones with a church in them.