by Sheila of SewFaithful
 Monika Drake of  MyEuropeanTouch is one of our loyal leaders on CastTeam, and creator of shabby chic home accents, furniture, and gifts. If you don't already know her, I hope you'll read on and learn a little bit about this lovely faith filled woman!
Monika-Beautimus Inside and Out!

Monika is giving away one of her very unique creations!
A Mixed Media Card Collage. This Victorian Lady is simply fabulous and romantic. It could be hung in any room to make lovely statement! You can even pretend she is your Great Aunt Penelope (if anyone asks).
Mixed Media Collage
Just go to Monika's shop and leave a comment here telling us what your favorite item is. Winner chosen by random.org and will notified next week.


A brief biography from Monika:
My name is Monika. I have been an artist all my life and worked with a lot of different mediums; been a mosaic artist for 9 years now. I specialize in doing mosaics using a style referred to as "Pique Assiette or Tesserae". It is a French phrase it means “made from plate or stolen plate”. This process involves transforming vintage china/porcelain plates into artistic designs that are always one of a kind, and my own.
Growing up in Germany shortly after WWII; watching my parents re-use, re-cycle, re-invent - my involvement in the arts developed very early at about 5 years of age. Trying to make new candles from candle stumps - melting them on my little doll cooking stove, using simple yarn for candle wicks; it went “whoosh” and I almost burned the house down. Clothing my dolls by sewing, crocheting, knitting and cross stitch. Creating clay vases, paint and draw in my family’s home in Germany to now creating/working in my home in Florida. My interests and talents have evolved over time. Any type of art has been a constant presence in my life.
After all this experimenting with my very diverse talents I have grown into and have a very addictive desire to create MOSAIC, done from precise cut/nipped vintage fine bone china/porcelain plates, paired with stained glass tiles, vintage jewelry and other tidbits and baubles. My tools are Glass Nippers, Wheeled Cutters, Glue, Grout and Sealer; sometimes paint. I do custom orders and always involve my clients in the process of creating THEIR art piece.



How did you get your start on Etsy?
“The other web site” got too hard to handle and expensive. A friend shared Etsy with me.

Blue Christmas Wreath
How did you choose your shop name?
Since I am from Germany, I thought it appropriate
to call my shop “My European Touch” and it stuck with me.


Glass Ornament
Masquerade Party Mask









What does a typical day look like for you?
Waking up, reaching for my Bible and read a passage for the day from my Bible Study. Then I am getting up, while my kitty’s talking and greeting me excitedly, running to the kitchen, sitting down and waiting patiently in front of their food bowls to be fed. What a lovely picture that is in the morning. I will check my emails, take care of Computer stuff, package and mail.
Then I usually sit down and start cutting up China plates for my next project, if I am not in the middle of a mosaic project already.
Getting in my exercise either at the Gym or in the pool, for a change I will bead on my Christmon Ornaments, run errands, talk
with the Castteam and work some more on my mosaic art. Spend about half hour each day practicing my voice training...

If you could be anywhere in the world for one day, where would it be?

Israel, God’s chosen Land and folks.

What is your favorite Bible verse?


I love the Psalms, especially Psalms 67 since I am so involved in music.
1 May God be gracious to us and bless us
and make his face shine on us]
2 so that your ways may be known on earth,
your salvation among all nations.
3 May the peoples praise you, God;
may all the peoples praise you.
4 May the nations be glad and sing for joy,
for you rule the peoples with equity
and guide the nations of the earth.
5 May the peoples praise you, God;
may all the peoples praise you.
6 The land yields its harvest;
God, our God, blesses us.
7 May God bless us still,
so that all the ends of the earth will fear him.

Psalms have been sung as far as one can follow History. I love them!



What is your favorite Etsy item listing to feature?
This item is sold, but still my favorite…
Mosaic Two Tier Pie Crust Table



Mosaic Pie Table
Where can we can find you on the internet?
www.etsy.com/shop/myeuropeantouch?ref=si_shop
www.flickr.com/photos/viktorias_cottage/
myeuropeantouch.blogspot.com/
twitter.com/#!/Myeuropeantouch
www.indiepublic.com/profile/Myeuropeantouch
www.artfire.com/users/Myeuropeantouch
bloggerettesorority.blogspot.com/

www.shabbycottageshops.com/pages/BeautifulCottageBoutiques.htm


Our favorite comedian!

Thanks Monika for sharing your outstanding talent with us, and for being a team member who has a knack for making our days a little brighter. Your unceasing faith, optimism, and sense of humor are simply .......yes I need to say it again..... Beautimus!
Oh and drum roll please....
The winner of last weeks featured artist giveaway is:
Judy of AngelsNEverlasting
Congrats on winning the Pink Grapefruit Soap from
Kelli of DesertSoapStone 
Kelli will be in contact with you :)


Comments (13)

On September 28, 2011 at 8:32 AM , Becky K. said...

What a dear, dear post!! I loved putting a face to our lovely Monika!! So glad you gave up candle making...lol...your mosaics are much safer and gorgeous. I love the masks too.

 
On September 28, 2011 at 9:22 AM , krafterskorner said...

I love all your pieces!

 
On September 28, 2011 at 9:32 AM , Faith Caroline said...

So beautiful to read more about you, lovely Monika!

 
On September 28, 2011 at 11:07 AM , Tricia said...

What a beautiful post about a very special/beautiful sister in Christ! ALL of Monika's work is absolutely gorgeous and unique. Hard to choose a favorite, but I love the uniqueness of this teapot.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/77948697/teapot-silverplate-teapot-decor-shabby

 
On September 28, 2011 at 11:51 AM , Julia Badgley said...

How great to finally 'see' Monika! We love to chat with you throughout the day.
I love this:
http://www.etsy.com/transaction/58441363

 
On September 28, 2011 at 1:03 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

I absolutely LOVE the masks.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82087595/mask-halloween-masquerade-blue-satiny

http://www.etsy.com/listing/82342174/mask-halloween-masquerade-ivory-crackled

I also absolutely love Monika! She is so sweet and caring and funny. I have many items from her shop and each and every one is more BEAUTIMUS than the next.

You are so beautiful, Monika.
♥♥♥
Sue

 
On September 28, 2011 at 2:50 PM , Sue Runyon said...

We love our Monika!

 
On September 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Monika, I love you!! You are beautiful inside and out and always show us the joy of your Lord even when you are having a bad time. All of your work is just as beautiful as you are.

 
On September 28, 2011 at 6:37 PM , Unknown said...

Great to learn a bit more about Monika and see a picture!

 
On September 28, 2011 at 9:05 PM , The wedding planner said...

love the wreath!

 
On September 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM , Lizzi said...

Moni, you're a blessing to us all of course and we love that you are always popping in with a bit of joy (and sales dust) to spread around.

 
On September 29, 2011 at 8:12 AM , BonJeanCreations said...

Monika, Thanks so much for sharing your story. It is always nice to get to know other CASTTeam members better. I also have a German heritage. You always have such great Christian in site on everyday happenings. I agree with you. I love the mosaic pie table.
Blessings

 
On October 1, 2011 at 8:40 AM , myeuropeantouch said...

Thank you, thank you for all your loving comments. They are greatly appreciated.
Thank for featuring me too....♥
Monika