I have spent a great deal of life searching for that place where I feel like I fit in and am completely accepted. I think that for me that is the definition of home, not the building or location at all but that place where you are surrounded by love, fully comfortable with who you are and where you can just relax completely without a worry or concern, that place where you feel as if you have come into your own, you're grown up and can conquer the world. I kept thinking that some event in my life would bring me to that place so I kept waiting to arrive there.


My first real goal that I thought would bring me to that place was my 16th birthday, but it didn't so I thought "well, when I turn 18 then." My 18th birthday came and went and that wasn't it either. I wasn't discouraged yet, I just put my hope in my 21st birthday, "surely by the time I was 21 I will have arrived" I mused to myself. Nope, nope, nope that wasn't it. Now I was beginning to feel a little concern but comforted myself with the idea that the sense of home and security I was looking for would come when I got married. So at the age of 25, I walked down the aisle and placed all my expectations on my new husband. After several months of being a newlywed I was dismayed to find, I still hadn't arrived, there were more worries and concerns than ever and hardly a moment to relax and feel at peace.


"I know" I thought, "it must come with motherhood." So a couple years later I gave birth to my son and 15 months after that my oldest daughter was born. And do you know what? I discovered that wasn't what I was expecting either, it didn't fill that void and that longing I had to feel like I was who and where I was supposed to be. I had finally come to a place where I had absolutely no idea of when or where I would arrive at the place I was now desperately longing for.

After another year or two and an autism spectrum diagnosis for my son, I stepped out with the support of my church to organize ministry for other parents and women affected by disabilities. God became my focus and my passion and most of all my hope and I so wanted for others to have that hope as well. And one day in the midst of ministering to a group of women with the support of my pastor and my husband and the body of Christ, it dawned on me, that this was it. I had arrived, it was that deep intimate relationship with Christ that I was really longing for all along. And in that relationship I found purpose and joy even when things were challenging.


My prayer for you today, in whatever season of life you are in, is that you will press in to Christ, allow Him to be you comfort and strength as you rest in His arms. That's where home really is, in His presence alone.

Blessings to you all,
Cherry's Creations

Comments (12)

On August 29, 2011 at 10:58 AM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Great post, Cherry! Thank you for sharing!

 
On August 29, 2011 at 11:12 AM , Monika said...

Wow....Cherry...I wept....what deep insights you have to share, bless you♥
Monika

 
On August 29, 2011 at 11:41 AM , Becky K. said...

This is beautiful. I totally love this post. It is so true that we look for fulfillment in so many things and people when the only place we can find complete joy and peace is in Him.
Loved the photos you chose to go along too.
Becky

 
On August 29, 2011 at 11:43 AM , ♥WORDZ OF LIFE♥ said...

Thanks so much Cherry! Love when we each have our revelational moments from our Daddy God. He is so GOOD! Bless you, dear.

 
On August 29, 2011 at 12:40 PM , Sue Runyon said...

What a wonderful insight, Cherry. As a military spouse who moves a lot I know that home really has nothing to do with where you live. Thanks for expressing that so well.

 
On August 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM , Niki Jackson said...

What a beautiful post! So can relate about the searching. Niki x

 
On August 29, 2011 at 7:37 PM , Unknown said...

So true -- people search their whole life to find that nothing will complete them and fill that void like Jesus.

 
On August 29, 2011 at 8:05 PM , Lorrie said...

We all search for something to fill that Jesus shaped void in our lives. So glad you found Him and I could so relate.

 
On August 30, 2011 at 9:31 AM , Bing ReMade said...

Thank you ladies for your kind words, blessings to you all!

 
On August 30, 2011 at 12:10 PM , Faith Caroline said...

This is so encouraging! Thanks for writing!

 
On September 2, 2011 at 2:28 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

I got chills, reading your post. I remember, at the age of 55, ten years ago, sitting in my chair, watching TV, feeling so empty and thinking that there is so much more than this! Shortly after, I was 'saved' and was finally filled up (with the Holy Spirit).
Praise God.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On September 8, 2011 at 1:33 PM , Unknown said...

What a beautiful post Cherry!

Thank you for sharing your journey toward "home" in Jesus. What a beautiful story, of finding "the p e a c e", we an only know- through HIM.
Many blessings!