As the deer pants for streams of water,
   so my soul pants for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
   When can I go and meet with God?
Psalm 42:1-2

Fawn Tags by Cards by Carla

I think that these verses are well known to many, thanks in part to the song "As the Deer" which I believe is sung in churches around the English-speaking world.  The imagery in these verses is so beautiful and I can just picture exactly what they are describing, the hot and thirsty animal searching for a stream, a spiritually thirsty soul seeking refreshment from God.

Forest Deer Pocket Mirror by Frangipani Palace

But what does it mean for one's soul to thirst and pant for God?  I think it means, in part, to seek after God and his ways and one of the ways to thirst for God and seek him is to eagerly turn to his word and study it.  Whether it be personal Bible study, being part of a Bible study group or hearing God's word taught in church (and I would say that a combination of all of the above are helpful for the Christian),  studying God's word is so important for learning more about him and how to serve him.  Another way of thirsting for God and wanting to meet with him is to spend time in prayer with him, either alone or with other believers.

Forest Critters Coat Rack by Auntie J.J.'s Attic

I have to admit, in the midst of my enjoyment for these verses and the song they inspired, that I know that I do not thirst for God or eagerly seek to meet with him any where nearly as strongly as depicted in these verses.  I often struggle with my personal quiet times even though I know that they are of great benefit to me.  So does your soul pant and thirst for God?  Are you meeting with God (either personally or corporately) as often as you should?  Maybe you could spend some time this week working out how you could improve in this area of your spiritual walk or how you could encourage someone you know who is struggling with it.


Black Fawn Necklace by shupg

Antler Pen by Steiner Gifts and More

Deer Glass Tile Necklace by God Bless My Business

Little Deer Card by In Flower

Woodland Deer Planter by Sweet Rice

New Life Print by Nicolette Anne Photography

Deer Painting on Feather by RA-Bel Jewelry and Crafts

Comments (13)

On June 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM , LittleElf said...

A wonderful verse and post today. It's a great reminder to us all how we should actively seek God. Thank you for the post and all the wonderful treasures you found that go along with it. ^_^

Hugs,
Elfie

 
On June 17, 2011 at 3:18 PM , Sonja said...

This is one of my favorite verses and it is well represented here!

 
On June 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Beautiful items and thoughts, Deb.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On June 18, 2011 at 1:27 AM , Frangipani Palace said...

♥ A lovely post :) Thank you for including my pocket mirror ♥

 
On June 18, 2011 at 2:15 AM , shupg said...

Thanks Deb for the thoughtful post and great reminder to always seek Him, every minute of the day!
Thank you for including my little fawn :)

 
On June 18, 2011 at 3:16 AM , Noemi said...

This song is also sang in Spanish.
We do translate most of the English songs. We love to sing.
I did grow up singing that song, and still sing it to my two little ones.

 
On June 18, 2011 at 5:00 AM , Deb (Two Cheeky Monkeys) said...

Oh Noemi, how amazing that you sing it in Spanish too! ♥

 
On June 18, 2011 at 7:55 AM , Lessons from the Lathe said...

This is one of my favorite verses from one of my favorite Psalms. I love that the Psalm begins with the psalmist deep desire for God and ends wirh his introspection of "Why are you down cast, O my soul?" When we are striving to stay close to God, we really do not need to allow the issues of life get us down. I have often had this verse engraved on my items. Thanks for including my pen in your list.

 
On June 18, 2011 at 10:47 AM , Lori said...

Wonderful message! I always love visual references that remind me of God's word! Thank you for the thoughtful post! Thank you for including my vintage deer planter!

 
On June 18, 2011 at 1:31 PM , Anonymous said...

Loved it so much!!!! thank you for sharing!

Amy*
GBMB

 
On June 18, 2011 at 3:08 PM , Anonymous said...

I too need to spend more quiet time with god. I thirst for him, and yet don't seek him enough as I should. Lovely message! I hadn't heard those verses before.

 
On June 18, 2011 at 9:03 PM , Barbara said...

I loved your thoughts on hungering for the Lord. Do any of us truly hunger enough? Probably not. A couple of years ago, we had a very difficult financial situation that left me sitting at the Lord's feet without any energy to continue on my own. Only then, did I really let go of my own efforts and let the Lord really have His way entirely. It has been like being born again all over again. He has truly set me free to believe that He really is my provider and wants to to just that without my interference! How He loves us. How He loves us so. Be blessed. Thanks for your post and inclusion of my little deer card. love, Barbara Gerber at InFlower.

 
On June 24, 2011 at 12:25 AM , wendy said...

good post!