by Diana of beantreedesigns

142 times. That is the number of times my Bible study program shows the word “thorn” in the Bible.

What I , and I expect most of us have in mind when we think of thorns in Bible terms is the crown that was placed on The Savior’s head during the time leading to the crucifixion.

Matthew 27:29 (KJV)
29 And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews!

I suppose the crown of thorns seem a small thing when thought of in terms of all the other things involved. The spear in his side, the nails in his hands and feet, thirst and hanging from the cross had to be so much more devastating to the physical pain He endured than the prick of thorns in his skin. A lot of people, I suppose, think of rose thorns when they visualize this “crown”.

I have a different view. In our area we have thorn bushes. I think Hawthorne is the official name. I’m not sure, but I am sure they are nasty.


When I was a child my father ran one into the palm of his hand while clearing out some land, and it caused him months of problems. It was if the thorn had poisoned him. They are a thick, dense bush which is pretty in the spring and summer with it’s leaves and blooms on but shows it’s true colors in winter. The thorns are often 2 inches long, tough and hard and a demon if you are unlucky enough to have one pierce your skin.



Whenever I come across one I think of the crown of thorns. I think of What Jesus endured, and what his gift was to us. How he suffered. If the crown of thorns was a small thing, which in comparison it was, how the rest of the suffering is amplified when viewed alongside the crown. And how looking at the thorns brings home just how painful and significant the crown was. How he wore one on the way to the Calvary. How he knew that the worst was yet to come.

And then I come across a thorn bush with something else.



Some birds will build their nest in the middle of a thorn bush. They are protected. Not many predators will brave the thickness and wicked thorns to get to the nest. The birds build their nest, lay their eggs, and raise their young nestled in the safety or the thorns. They know that the thorns will protect them.



I am struck with the feeling each time I see this, that Jesus has done the same for us. Protection, security, the knowledge that we can be safe from the things in life that threaten us and cause us pain. The birds can rest knowing that their young are safe. As we can rest knowing that we are surrounded by the love of our Father to protect us.

by Diana of beantreedesigns


Diana was so gracious in offering to write this wonderful blog post as a Guest Blogger and to share her photos. If you have an idea for a post you would like to write for the CAST blog, please contact me SueRunyonDesigns.

Comments (10)

On March 15, 2011 at 9:57 AM , myeuropeantouch said...

Whow, how wonderful a comparison this is, thank you Diane for sharing.
Provokes thinking and contemplating...
Monika

 
On March 15, 2011 at 10:11 AM , Christine Burgess said...

What a beautiful post. I've never seen a thorn bush before and it really does make you think of what Jesus went through for all of us.

 
On March 15, 2011 at 11:34 AM , Zuda said...

Great post, Diana, thank you for sharing this with us!

ZudaGay

 
On March 15, 2011 at 11:45 AM , Tricia said...

Beautiful post!

 
On March 15, 2011 at 1:28 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

How comforting to know how Jesus protects us.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On March 15, 2011 at 4:12 PM , Donna (Twinmountainpottery) said...

WOW What a great post. Thorn bushes can be so cruel and intimidating but I love how you compared the safety they provided the birds to what security and safety the crown of thorns and Jesus represented. Thank you for sharing

 
On March 15, 2011 at 7:01 PM , pfd said...

I agree with the posts above mine. That is absolutely a beautiful analogy of Christ's love and security provided for us. Thank you for this thoughtful post!

 
On March 15, 2011 at 8:37 PM , Beantree Designs said...

THank you all for the kind words. I rarely go outside without seeing something that makes me think of The Creator. I wanted to share these thoughts with you all!

 
On March 15, 2011 at 9:04 PM , Bing ReMade said...

Thanks so much for sharing, love the visuals, they do help so much!

 
On March 16, 2011 at 6:46 AM , Beantree Designs said...

Also thanks to Sue for the work it took to get my post on the blog!