Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.”  So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir. 
Galatians 4:6

Golf Dad Print by Sweet B Studio

As many of you will know, I have spent the last few weeks concerned about my dad's health and asking for prayers on his behalf after he was diagnosed with "possible cancer".  I praise God that we have since had test results which suggest that he does not have cancer, although further tests and surgery will be done to determine exactly what is wrong!

Rugged Crosses Leather Cuff by Sissy's Pretties

The anxiety I felt at the possibility of losing my beloved father got me thinking about how important fathers are and also about our wonderful heavenly Father.  You see, while my husband and I have been blessed with godly fathers who are faithful believers in Christ, I know that not everyone (including my own parents) has or had a good father.  And for some, this can make it difficult for them to accept or properly relate to God as their heavenly father.

Super skinny necktie by Me and Matilda

But no matter what kind of earthly fathers we have, those of us who are believers in Christ can be comforted by the fact that we have an amazing heavenly father, God.  He has not only saved us from slavery to sin (and eternal judgment), but He has also made us sons (or daugthers for the females!) and His heirs!!!  In fact, 1 John 3 says that God lavishes his love on us by calling us His children while Psalm 68 calls God the "father to the fatherless".

Guitar Pick Keychain by Amy Cornwell Designs

It is just mind boggling how much God loves us and there are so many other passages in the Bible which speak of how great a father our God is; the ultimate example for our earthly fathers.  As you browse through the father-themed finds for this week, take some time to praise God for being our awesome heavenly Father.  You might also like to thank God for the earthly father or father-in-law He has given you and to pray for all the fathers you know, that they would be encouraged by God's example of fatherhood.

How great thou art t-shirt by his love endures forever

Hematite cufflinks by Made by the Margerums

Comments (8)

On January 28, 2011 at 12:22 PM , Sherri Ward said...

This one brings tears to my eyes - both because of the recent passing of my earthly father - who unfortunately did not know God - but more because I know my heavenly Father has adopted me and I am His beloved child. Thanks for this post!

 
On January 28, 2011 at 12:30 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Beautiful post, Deb!

I love being reminded that God is my Father.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On January 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM , Donna (Twinmountainpottery) said...

I loved this post. I had a wonderful earthly father who has now gone to be with Jesus. He is remembered by people as one who loved and served his Lord Jesus. I feel so blessed to have had the privilege to grow up in a Christian home. I am so glad others who were not so lucky can know our heavenly Father, as we all can call upon Him.

 
On January 29, 2011 at 11:46 AM , pfd said...

It is wonderful to be reminded of our great heavenly Father. I had a good earthly father but not a spiritual one and it is such a comfort to have a Father in heaven who meets all our needs.

 
On January 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM , the butlers pottery said...

God has been the Godly father I needed. Forgiveness towards our fathers who were just human lets us love them as we should.

 
On January 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM , His Love Endures Forever said...

This is great theme. Very well said. Thank you for sharing! Prayers for you and your family.

 
On January 29, 2011 at 1:06 PM , Sue Runyon said...

So true, Deb. Thank you so much. Great finds--many items I have not seen before.

 
On January 29, 2011 at 2:46 PM , myeuropeantouch said...

I love my Abba....
Thanks Deb...