http://www.etsy.com/listing/35045742/alaskan-gray-jay-bird-in-snow-scene


http://www.etsy.com/listing/65024181/cross-antique-copper-chain-necklace

I’m not sure about anyone else but I often feel a bit overwhelmed by all there is to do. Laundry and dishes never seem to be “done” in a family of six, errands and activities are abound. My business needs attention, my family needs attention, my home needs attention and on and on. My quest to find balance among all of those things that call my name seems so great. I will at times put something off and think “I will get to that when the weather is cooler or warmer, when craft season is over, when I have the time, etcetera, etcetra. However, I recently read a blog though that put it all into perspective quite simply: “Do the work.” The piece I read was really more about running a business, but God brought me to some verses that impressed upon me that this is a Biblical principle.

“He who watches the wind will not sow and he who looks at the clouds will not reap.” Eccleiastes 11:4

“We must work the works of Him that sent me while it is day: the night comes when no man can work.” John 9:4

In the first verse we can see that if we are always looking for the circumstances and conditions to be just right we will never get any work done, we will never start, we will never be productive, we will never complete anything. And the second verse reminds us that time is limited. We must do the work while we can whether that is caring for our friends and family, volunteering in our community, serving in our churches or working in our businesses. Just do the work, start somewhere, do what you can while you are able. And in those times that it all seems overwhelming, take a deep breath and follow the principle of Phillipians 4:8 “Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things.” As we do this, God will help us organize our priorities and show us what the next thing on the to do list should be in any given area of our life.

Lord, I thank you that you are faithful and true. I thank you that your word is full of principles that we can apply to simplify our lives and help us focus on what you would have us do. I pray that would lead us and guide us in all that we do, give us the wisdom, the discernment, the courage and the strength to do the work that you have for us. In Jesus name, Amen.


Comments (15)

On January 31, 2011 at 9:40 AM , Vicki said...

How true, how true!! Excellent post and I needed to hear it today when plate seems overwhelmingly full! Just do the work...great words to carry around with us! Thanks! Vicki/EllieLee

 
On January 31, 2011 at 9:57 AM , sammysgrammy said...

you're kind of annonymous (no byline or anything), so i don't don't know whose post i'm commenting on........but i know you're my sister in the family of God. i came to the blog to do something else and saw your post and i was totally blessed. what a good word! and good way to start a new week and new month and new year.

 
On January 31, 2011 at 9:58 AM , SHEILA said...

This is a wonderful post! I needed motivation today, and this is it. :) THANK YOU

 
On January 31, 2011 at 10:17 AM , myeuropeantouch said...

HI there, Cherry...what a wise post and you did very well. I needed to hear this today too...going to "just do the work"! Now!
Bless you,
Monika

 
On January 31, 2011 at 11:12 AM , ChocolateDogStudio said...

This is excellent advise that I needed to read today! thanks,

 
On January 31, 2011 at 11:46 AM , MYSAVIOR said...

Wonderful post, Cherry! Thank you for including my birds photo.
I am going to print this out for my daughter.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On January 31, 2011 at 12:42 PM , Melanie said...

Thank you for this post. This is something that I seem to struggle with each and everyday. I will keep you words and the scripture close as I look for the answers and guidance each day.

 
On January 31, 2011 at 12:57 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Cherry, thanks so much for this. Perfect post to start off a busy work with with. I needed it!

By the way, everyone, this is Cherry of cherryscreations very first post for the blog. I think she did a wonderful job and I'm so thankful to her and all the other blog volunteers!

 
On January 31, 2011 at 1:00 PM , J. K. said...

Great post, so true!! Thanks for the reminder!

 
On January 31, 2011 at 1:26 PM , Donna (Twinmountainpottery) said...

Cherry what a wonderful post. I needed to hear this one! Thank you.

Donna(Twinmountainpottery)

 
On January 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM , Bing ReMade said...

Thanks for all the great compliments, it is an honor to be part of this team and blog :0)

 
On January 31, 2011 at 1:43 PM , Sherri Ward said...

This is really helpful, thank you for sharing it!!!

 
On January 31, 2011 at 7:08 PM , Lizzi said...

What a great post! Thank you!

 
On January 31, 2011 at 8:43 PM , Luscious Lather said...

Just wonderful, Cherry! Such great reminders to us all. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy life to write this blog and give us these wise words! ♥Diane

 
On February 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM , Tricia said...

This is such a great truth. I struggle with that overwhelming feeling lots, even more so since I opened my own business. Really needed to hear this today. And now I am going to go and Just Do It!! Thank you! Tricia