by Phyllis Ducey
pfdoriginalartworks


So what really counts? Depends at how you look at life. I recently read a book written by an amazing man who was dying of cancer and had accomplished more than I probably could have in three life times. The book was a combination of leaving a legacy to his young children (who, being so young, would have little memory of him) as well as his way of encouraging others to follow their dreams. I found the book interesting and felt he had a great outlook on life. After all he stayed positive, encouraged many people and helped them to discover, as well as follow, their dreams. Even knowing he was dying his focus was on giving to his family and friends. And really that is all that counts, right?

What really started me thinking about this was after reading HelensCorner’s blog post about attending a tractor show. It contained wonderfully sweet pictures of the event with her husband and son (he is a cutie!). She ended her post (click on this link to read it…you’ll smile: Tractor weekend) stating that her son and husband had a wonderful time and “sometimes that's what counts.”

She is so right… sometimes to wallow in the joy of a family… enjoying the gift of that moment is all that counts. The picture is of grandchild #3 and me spending an afternoon together. We did a little weeding (until she got a mosquito bite and decided it was not worth the threat of getting more), watered plants then plucked some cool looking leaves, painted them, pressed them onto paper and made wonderful creations (the picture at the beginning of this post is the painting I started that afternoon).

When I read Helen’s blog and I thought to myself… yes, sometimes that's what really counts. Then I was reading that book which I enjoyed the author’s theories and tenacity in life but as I got closer to the end… closer to the end of his life (the book was completed prior to his death) my heart sank as I realized he did not write with an eternal perspective. The beautiful legacy in his book he was leaving for his family would equip them for living in many ways but gave them no gear for eternity. To me, though noble from a worldly perspective, it was tragic the efforts he put in to be remembered and to make the transition for his kids easier when he died but yet not leave them the legacy of a Father who would never leave them or forsake them.

Since God assured us, "I'll never let you down, never walk off and leave you," we can boldly quote, God is there, ready to help; I'm fearless no matter what. Who or what can get to me?
Heb 13:5-6 (the Message)
We will all be gone one day. We hope our love remains with each person we care so deeply about but my prayer is not that I will be remembered by my children or grandchildren but that the God I love would be remembered and embraced as their own. If I have left them embracing and loving the Lord, I will know that I have left a beautiful gift with eternal value. I will have left them a gift that will equip them for anything and everything that they will encounter.

I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe.
Eph 1:18-19 (NIV)

AND I will look forward to spending eternity with them. But more than that… I look forward to them spending eternity with God!

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
John 14:3 (NIV)
Because truly… that's what really counts!








In His image bib by HelensCorner












Family custom caricature by AmbieandAshiesArt













Guy necklace by ShadowCutter












Christmas ornament by DuctTapeAndDenim












Double hoop earrings by NeboBeads











Christian adoption t-shirt by tellitees














Knitting row counter bracelet
by jeanettejed













Monogram wall hanging
by PamperMePlease











Christmas photo greeting card
by PhotoGreetings









Comments (12)

On September 6, 2010 at 12:58 AM , Kathleen said...

Great post - good reminder to make sure our perspective is God's perspective!

 
On September 6, 2010 at 5:42 AM , myeuropeantouch said...

Fabulous perspective and bible quotes. I think I know the book you are talking about.
With God, always...
Monika

 
On September 6, 2010 at 5:51 AM , Julie Riisnaes said...

Great stuff thank you! For a lovely book on facing death with Christ see:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Way-Heaven-Mark-Ashton/dp/1906173087/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283766208&sr=8-1
It was written by a wonderful guy who was my son's paster when he was at uni in Cambridge. He wrote it just before he died last year. My daughter and I were blown away as we read it. Its only a short read.
Julie

 
On September 6, 2010 at 8:26 AM , Unknown said...

Lovely thoughts....

 
On September 6, 2010 at 9:49 AM , Lizzi said...

Great post and definitely true.

 
On September 6, 2010 at 9:56 AM , Helen said...

Thanks for the wonderful thoughts, Phyllis. I am so glad that my blog post was a blessing to you. The Lord is so faithful and He continues to speak to us through others. Your time with your grandaughter must have been very precious. Praise Him!

 
On September 6, 2010 at 10:00 AM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Amen! :)

 
On September 6, 2010 at 10:13 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Great post, Phyllis. I enjoyed looking at Helen's Tractor post too. Wonderful items featured!

 
On September 6, 2010 at 11:03 AM , MoBoogie Boutitque said...

Great post.

 
On September 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

This has touched my heart!

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On September 7, 2010 at 4:36 PM , sammysgrammy said...

Just read it, Phyllis. Perfect example of the defference between the social gospel (sounds good but is hollow) and THE gosple (the good news). It's real, eternal, personal, beautiful, valuable, priceless, matchless...........
I could go on and on.

Thanks for sharing.

 
On September 12, 2010 at 1:50 PM , J Honda said...

Jumping and LEAPING for Joy!! you said it Phyllis!!! Oh MY goodness - that is what counts - that is all there is and yet it is EVERYTHING!!!!!