http://www.etsy.com/shop/HelensCorner

Psalm 23
1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
King James Version



When I was a teenager in high school back in 1960, we were allowed to read the Bible. Every day in homeroom, I read the 23rd Psalm before we said the Pledge of Allegiance.
It felt right to me, combining this prayer with the pledge. One Nation under God.


Today is July 4th. We are celebrating our independance as a nation.
What better way to begin a child's life knowing that the Lord is THEIR Shepherd, they shall never want as they walk with the Lord throughout their life.
It is my prayer today that our nation continues to be independant under the guiding love of our Lord.


Happy Independance Day.


Sue/mysavior





Comments (9)

On July 3, 2010 at 10:53 PM , pfd said...

Sue, that is so very true. We are so blessed in our country to be able to pick up the Bible and read. Truly God has blessed America and we must stay on our knees praying that He will continue to do so. Thank you for the wonderful reminder.

 
On July 4, 2010 at 8:19 AM , Christie Cottage said...

We used to have a prayer before the Pledge of Allegiance.

God has blessed us all!

<><

 
On July 4, 2010 at 11:55 AM , Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

That is a perfect verse to think of on this day. HE is our Shepherd! Beautiful! Hope you and your family have a wonderful 4th of July! :)

 
On July 4, 2010 at 1:04 PM , Unknown said...

You said it!! So glad I teach in a private school where we can read the bible or discuss God whenever we would like. God bless our freedom!

 
On July 4, 2010 at 2:31 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

I do pray that they will allow prayer back in the public schools. They really need it.

♥♥♥

 
On July 4, 2010 at 2:31 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Thanks Sue and welcome to the blog team. You are off to a great start!

 
On July 4, 2010 at 2:54 PM , sammysgrammy said...

I,too, remember reciting the 23rd Psalm in kindergarten in public school. I have to admit, it was a long, long time ago.
I left that school after kindergarten and attended a private school and never again saw a bible or learned bible verses until I was saved many years later. How sad. But, glory to God, I never forgot Psalm 23 and it still remains one of my favorites.

 
On July 4, 2010 at 4:00 PM , ShadowCutter said...

I just read through Power FM's Facebook page that if 15 students request an elective Bible class the school has to add it.

 
On July 5, 2010 at 11:01 PM , Burlap and Vine said...

Here in Burleson,Tx,I am happy to say that they offer Bible as an elective.