by Phyllis Ducey
pfdoriginalartworks


If you are a person like me, you may have been planted in one location for most of your life. I was uprooted several years ago (5 to be exact... actually I relocated my roots, no one yanked at them... except maybe God?) and now am working towards crystalizing the concept of home. Living in only two homes in one town for 30 years, I always felt rooted. When we moved from one side of town to the other I realized that the new house (and it was brand new) did not feel like home. After almost 6 months, one day I sat down in the living room and let out a sigh. I was home. (Up until then I always felt I was sitting in someone else's house.)

When we moved to the northlands of Minnesota, after being so long in one place I felt up rooted and worked hard to create "home". I put out my favorite decorations, painted walls, cleaned corners, and rearranged furniture every week or two while I waited. Waited. Waited. The sigh did not come from the house. It did come each time my grandkids arrived. And that was a sigh of blessing... of feeling like royalty, like I live in a grand palace!

There was a time in my life when I was very attached to my house and my possessions. I highly valued them and considered them very important to who I was. Not anymore. I realize they are pretty meaningless is the whole scheme of things.

The meaning of home to me has been changing.

I just got back from a trip to my home town area in Illinois. But though I did not stay in my old house, I was home. I went to my former church; my best friend sat next to me (felt like it was what I did every week); visited with old friends; and spent wonderful time with my family. I was at home... that sigh would ease out as I spent time with each person. I spent a good part of that week driving my 85 year old mom (technically mother-in-law) to places and even more time helping her with computer stuff (Yes, I said computer! She is quite impressive.) Being with mom is my home... all my family are my home, my friends are my home, and my church family is my home.

Home is no longer tied to a location for me.

And each version of home produces its own types of sigh. Some generate sighs of warmth, some of peace, some of joy, some of contentment, some of fulfillment, and some are occasionally of relief.

I now think that the saying "home is where the heart is" is very true. Family, friends, and church... that is where my heart is when it comes to this world.

Though there is a deeper sense of home that extends beyond what we experience here. The true home of my heart is with my Lord, Jesus Christ. When I am "with Him" I heave a deep, sweet sigh of relief. (That is when He is my central focus and I am spending my time in prayer and in His word.) He comforts, teaches, carries me through the good and bad, He creates within me that peace that surpasses all understanding.

"Now all has been heard; this is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep His commandments for this is the whole duty of man." Eccl 12:13

Whenever I am with people who love the Lord, I am at home whether I know them well or have just met them. Because we are related through Christ we are brothers and sisters in the same family. It is a wonderful feeling to sit down with a total stranger and feel that special family tie... to feel that sigh slipping out because we are bonded.

"So in Christ, we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to one another." Rom 12:5

It is not unlike my Etsy CAST Team experience. We communicate and support one another because we all have that common bond... a love for Christ. If He is in our hearts and home is where your heart is... then we all share the same home. And one day, when we have left this earth, we will all be together with Christ.

"In my Father's house there are many rooms; if it were not so I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you." John 14:2

Won't that be a great celebration? I think at that time my heart's sigh will be a song! (I bet I will be able to sing in tune!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ps. Wow...we are already in the middle of July! When I started writing my weekly posts I made a commitment with the Lord to do this for a year. You will find that many of my writings contain similar themes (usually with a different bent). Often I intend to write on one subject but seems that (I pray as I write) the Lord changes my direction (and often the whole subject). A while back I wrote a post that works well with today's. Click here if you are interested in viewing it: "Desires of the Heart"


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


July is traditionally our six month warning that Christmas is just around the corner. Here are some wonderful items that somewhat relate to today's post. These shops have some talented artists. Check them out!




Comments (10)

On July 19, 2010 at 1:12 AM , Art and Sew Forth said...

I was unable to attend church for almost 4 years b/c I had to work on Sundays. I recently quit my job in hopes of making enough online so I could be home more. Not sure if it will work, but going back to church was like going back 'home'. Even though it is a different one than I attended previously, I was home, in the presence of God's spirit and His people. I love it!

 
On July 19, 2010 at 3:39 AM , JoyfulHandKnits said...

Great thoughts, Phyllis. We have moved around alot and even tho I have those physical items comfort me...mostly, it's family that means home to me. Also the "home" feeling I get going to a church that feels "just right".

Thanks.
Joy from JoyfulHandKnits.etsy.com

 
On July 19, 2010 at 10:20 AM , The Chubby Dove said...

Thanks for featuring my nest, Phyllis. I LOVE that little trailer birdhouse.

We're in the ministry and have moved around a lot. We've met many wonderful people along the way.

One of my favorite mottos is "bloom where you're planted". I believe God has us in certain places for special reasons and for different seasons.

xo

 
On July 19, 2010 at 10:29 AM , Lovealittle said...

Thank you so much Phyllis for including my pouch.

I have been out of my house for 6 months for renovations and am now back "home". It means much to the family to have our space and new improved living conditions.

In that time few pouches were made...I made a fly away home pouch recently and it felt like I was grounded making a familiar item in my new home. The dove symbolises God's Holy Spirit which is always with us wherever we are.

I was fortunate to be close enough to remain at my "home" Church; we are blessed to live next door :)

 
On July 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Home is where the heart is. When I was 10, I was doing an art project for Mother's Day and I asked my mom what her favorite saying was. Home is where the heart is.
After reading your post today, I have to wonder whether my stubborn non-believing 87 year old mother knew what that really meant 54 years ago or if she really knows what it means now. I will ask her what it means to her.
I am in agreement with you at this point in my life and I am so grateful to the Lord for allowing me to find my way here.
♥♥♥
Sue

 
On July 19, 2010 at 3:02 PM , Lizzi said...

What a lovely post! The way you put things in perspective was so nice. Home is definitely where the heart is.

 
On July 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM , Jan said...

Thanks once again Phyllis...your way with words is a "sigh" for my heart. You know how to put what I'm feeling into words...and that is so refreshing. I agree...when the heart is at home...there is a feeling of contentment.

 
On July 19, 2010 at 8:48 PM , sweetybird09 said...

Well I really enjoyed reading this post, I have lived in the San Diego area for all my life, but when I met my husband we needed to move north of San Diego (40 miles) and so when we first moved I felt lonely, that was until we got a church family, made our own life up here and we were so happy that we decided to buy here and not move back to San Diego city.
I also am so happy with the etsy family I have made here with the cast team and the caps team, plus I have learned to blog and that is such a fun way to keep tabs on what is going on in peoples lives.

Thanks for reminding us of our Fathers love for us also!

Joyce

 
On July 20, 2010 at 10:45 AM , Lisa said...

Super blog, enjoyed the reading and all rge great art. Thanks for adding my crow family aceo! Sale now in Etsy shop free shipping! God bless

 
On July 20, 2010 at 9:49 PM , J Honda said...

:O) your posts are so precious Phyllis....but you are even more so ♥