The idea for this post came about after listening to a sermon in which our pastor threw out the questions: "What would the church look like without men? What if it was just a place where women and children hang out?" That got me thinking about our CAST team and that it would be great to try to identify the CAST shops that are run by men or are husband/wife, father/daughter or father/son partnerships. So far we have been able to identify 16 shops. If you know of any others please Contact Me.

Randy and Linda of RusticLogDecor


I began woodworking in 1989 with a love of country cupboards. Over the years I have gone from making little cutouts for crafters and rosemaling artists to a wide variety of custom furniture products. About 3 years ago when it seemed like fun to again sell at shows, I wanted to design something small and not so heavy. That's when I designed the cutting boards. The next year I built a playhouse for my girls using reclaimed pine for trim. The huge load of pine that was given to me inspired me to come up with a use for it. Something prompted the memory of a log table I made quite a few years ago which was inspired by Thomas Molesworth's log furniture of the 1940's. That's when Rustic Log Decor came to life.

Although I don't have a formal education in woodworking, my career has been divinely orchestrated. When I started this business, I was doing bear cutouts and sometime back I completed a special commission from the Reverend Roger Patrick Dorcy Cancer Center to build something to house the collections of Father Roger Dorcy. It has been an honor to build small and large special projects which I've only been able to do because my opportunities have stretched and expanded my skills. It is a privilege for me to be in the company of my Christian brothers and sisters on Etsy and do what I love to do.

 



Wendell and Ruth of 8milecreekdesigns
(Ruth also has an Etsy shop called purpledesignstudio)



We are a Father & Daughter team from Baldwin City, Kansas. We both love to create new functional items, out of the old abandoned things we find. 8MileCreekDesigns began the day I (Ruth) decided to help Dad clean out his shop. He had 8 hubcap clocks hanging on the wall in his workshop, I photographed and listed them on Etsy. Little did I know what we had started! We have learned more about hubcaps, cars and clock making than we ever thought possible. Working together has been a great blessing. My sons are also interested in helping Grandpa in the workshop. It is wonderful to have three generations working together and having fun!



Brad Sears of BradSearsWoodturner
 
photo courtesy of Bender Photography

I'm a studio woodturner living and working in East Stroudsburg, in the heart of Pennsylvania's scenic Pocono Mountains. My wife Nancy, and I are the proud parents of three children and four grandchildren(!) I specialize in carefully hand-made, environmentally friendly lathe-turned craft: functional wooden bowls made to last for generations, artistic lidded boxes and what I call "surprise" items to tickle the fancy. I am particularly fond of my "Acorn Series" multi-axis lidded boxes (examples include http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=41460010 and http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=33534677) and candlestick sets (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=42376869 and http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=43950224.) In addition to selling on Etsy, my work has been accepted into the Fine Wood Artists On-line Gallery and the American Association of Woodturners On-Line Artist Gallery/Marketplace.


Myles and Donna from NameOnAShell
(Donna also has an Etsy shop called DHElegance.)
We're Myles & Donna Hup and we engrave seashells! Names on seashells to be exact. The shell starts out plain and what we do is leave the letters as the top layer and engrave away from the name. All the the beautiful purples and whites you see are actually the natural colors underneath that top spotted layer of shell :)

We sell names, do custom shells such as "Just Married" or "Anniversaries" we do placecards for beach weddings and all sorts of fun things. Our main location is in Ft Lauderdale. We have a website: http://www.NameOnAShell.com.


Comments (6)

On April 22, 2010 at 12:06 PM , button said...

Soooooo nice to meet all of you! Wishing you all the best! Love seeing the manly side of art, too!
Awesome!
:o) button

 
On April 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM , sammysgrammy said...

Awesome.........chairs, bowls, hubcaps, shells!!!
You guys are super

 
On April 22, 2010 at 1:57 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Great to have guys on this team and to finally get to see their faces and the beautiful faces of the ladies too!

 
On April 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM , Julie Riisnaes said...

Lovely to meet you all - great work! I Hadn't realised Mr Donna worked on Etsy too!

 
On April 22, 2010 at 3:58 PM , pfd said...

I felt like I just left a mini-craft show and got to spend time with the vendors. Great to meet each of you!

 
On April 22, 2010 at 9:38 PM , Deb (Two Cheeky Monkeys) said...

So nice to see photos of everyone and their work!