by Phyllis Ducey
pfdoriginalartworks



Scripture photo by loveverb

From the best sources in the American Bible Society Archives,
the Scripture distribution for 1816 - 2000
(American Bible Society and United Bible Societies combined)
is as follows:


Bibles - 159,932,052

Testaments, Portions & Selections - 5,981,374,753

TOTAL - 6,141,306,805


The all time best seller in history still appears to be the Christian Bible! They (those who research such things-such as Russel Ash) won't totally commit to that statement because they do not have records of sales of books all the way back in history but as far as they could figure the Bible has been the all time best seller. The numbers quoted above are from 2000... can you imagine what it would be today?

I have been asked how can I believe in a book that is 2,000 plus years old. Does it not contradict itself? People have written more books than I can count on that subject and I certainly am not capable of answering it in terms that are theological or philosophical in nature to satisfy the many pundits of the world. I can only answer that question from my own experience. The words written over 2,000 years ago are as alive and real to me today as they were when they were first penned.

As I stated above I cannot give the theological and philosophical explanations but I do know God does not contradict Himself. I sometimes kindly suggest that they read it from cover to cover then ask me the question. How can they judge something they have not read? That usually stops their questions because they have no intention of reading it. The bible was written by 40 different people but only one author and that is God, Himself.

Have you ever tried walking in a wooded area in the dark with a flashlight? The woods are full of fallen branches, dips, hills, rocks and briers as well as surprise droppings from deer and the like. The few night walks in the woods I have experienced, I always was tempted to flash my light all around me to see the surroundings or to catch a glimpse of what created an eerie noise. When I did, I tripped or stumbled, twisted my ankle or stepped in something that grossed me out. In order to navigate the woods, I needed that flashlight to shine on the path and focus on where my feet were going. Since my flashlights were not flood lights, I could only see a few steps at a time. But for safe traveling that was all I really needed.

That is how God's word is, just like this verse:

"Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path"

Simple as that. Like a flashlight shining on our feet in the dark to light the path. Our focus should be on the steps God is leading us. When we stop focusing on His Word and look all around it can cause us to stumble. What I love about this verse is that it does not say that His word is a flood light, but a lamp which only shows a few steps at a time. God knows our past, present and future. He also knows how much we can comprehend or handle at any given time. He does not choose to overwhelm us but only lights the part of each path that we need at that moment.

The other aspect of this verse that makes it so valuable to me is that it reminds me of the importance of His Word. When we commit His Word to memory, dwell on it and make it a part of who we are, we are able to use it as our counsel in order to make decisions. God gives us choices not all have a right or wrong to them but His Word can guide us in the principles that we should follow.


"Blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.

But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night."

Psalm 1:1,2

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Please take a few minutes to visit our wonderful CAST Team artists below. Think about upcoming Mother's Day, Father's Day, and I just want to get something for myself day!
Don't forget to heart!







Comments (9)

On April 11, 2010 at 11:09 PM , Vicki said...

Phyllis, beautiful post as always and one of my all time favorite verses.

 
On April 12, 2010 at 3:59 AM , Julie Riisnaes said...

Great verse! Great reason to make reading God's word and practising it our biggest priority

 
On April 12, 2010 at 10:14 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Just what I needed this morning. Thanks so much, Phyllis!

 
On April 12, 2010 at 11:41 AM , button said...

Thank you so much for your post, Phyllis. I love the story about the flashlight in the woods. Amy Grant's song is singing in my head now. "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path".
It's an oldie, but a goodie.
:o) button

 
On April 12, 2010 at 2:24 PM , J Honda said...

My heart sings with joy - Phyllis, the Lord mightily uses you - I can barely write or speak - that is what happens in His presence...I am in awe-
you nailed it (no pun intended at all) but, you did...
and He did ♥

 
On April 12, 2010 at 2:41 PM , Kathleen said...

What a wonderful post! One of my favorite verses, too - PTL that He lights out paths! Thanks for including my little candle - Like Corrie ten Boom said - the smallest candle extinguishes the dark!

 
On April 12, 2010 at 4:48 PM , sammysgrammy said...

How wise He is too, to give us a lamp and not a flood light. He knows we would get so distracted by all the things to see, we'd look all around, up and down, and might put a foot in a trap or something equally as deadly.

No, He knows best. A lamp. One foot in front of the other, step by step, line upon line, precept upon precept, little by little.

What an awesome God we serve!!!

 
On April 12, 2010 at 6:36 PM , pfd said...

I am enriched by all your comments and Sammysg... that is soooo true!

 
On April 13, 2010 at 12:54 PM , RusticLogDecor said...

Thank you, Phyllis, for your words. I love the flashlight in the woods way of looking at what I'm supposed to do next. What a great tool to use to focus and have faith when I feel unsure of my choices. I am able to take the small steps I take because with God's help all things are possible. Rich blessings and rewards, Linda