By Phyllis Ducey of pftoriginalartworks

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

I love this verse and it is especially meaningful to me right now as I struggle with some of my personal burdens. Christ is so loving that He gave us word pictures that each generation could comprehend the meaning of what He said. With them we don’t always have to be stressed as to the derivative of each word. But we do need sometimes to take ourselves back into the world where He walked the earth to understand fully.

The reference to the yoke back then was so commonplace everyone understood its meaning. You would harness oxen to a yoke.It was like a curved wooden bar in front of them that they would lean against to pull a cart or plow. Behind the oxen was another wooden piece that was straighter and had wooden prongs poking out - that was the goad. If one ox slowed down, it would be goaded making him uncomfortable and giving the ox incentive to move faster.

Everyone knew the importance of properly pairing up the oxen. They needed to be similar in size and in stride because if they weren’t, one ox may pull forward on the yoke, take all the weight of the load and wear itself out faster while the other would be jerking as it hit the goad. The loads were not meant for one ox to carry the weight and become exhausted. It was meant for the weight to be distributed, making each one’s load lighter.

I find that when I start pulling ahead, taking the full burden on myself I am exhausted… mentally, physically and spiritually. What a stubborn ox I can be! Jesus says to take up His yoke. Imagine it, yoked together with Christ carrying our burdens. It is interesting He does not promise to take them away but does say if we yoke with Him that His yoke is easy and His burden is light. How comforting knowing that if we choose to walk with Him, match His stride for us, we will find rest for our souls!

Rest for our souls… worth repeating, isn’t it? As you know I try to link this blog post with some of our wonderful crafters. I could not find anyone with oxen… not really a surprise .But since it is about our burdens here are some items that can help us carry things.

Handbag tote by kplus

Lil Bean Wrap by LilBeanBaby

Reusable gift bag by OleBagLady

Blues and greens purse tote by MaddieEna

Flower girl basket by MeandMatilda

Organizer clutch by thelaughinghouse

bandaid tins by CardsByEmily

By Phyllis Ducey of pftoriginalartworks

Comments (5)

On February 15, 2010 at 10:29 AM , button said...

Lovely feature! And oh my, what a beautiful little baby!
:o) button

 
On February 15, 2010 at 11:39 AM , Princess Daffy said...

One of my fave passages of scripture :o)

Perfect Phyllis, and truly words to LIVE by!

Thank you and welcome home!

xoxo, Daffy

 
On February 15, 2010 at 10:21 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Awesome as usual, Phyllis. Thanks so much!

 
On February 16, 2010 at 9:59 AM , Very Verdant said...

Great features and a truly comforting verse. Well Done!

 
On February 16, 2010 at 3:25 PM , cksilver said...

Beautiful post, Phyllis! I always love reading what you write!