Yesterday, when I should have posted this devotional I was stepping out of our car in Battery Park City.  I knew that we were going to New York City and I knew that I would see the new Freedom Tower from a distance but had no idea that we were going to literally park and walk in its shadow.

My heart was filled with so many emotions and my head swam with images from our television on September 11, 2001.  It is truly a defining moment in our lives.  Especially for my friend, Carol, who was our guide of the city yesterday.  She described standing at her office window and watching the second tower fall.  She explained that up until that moment it hadn't occurred to her that her life was in danger as well.
The impact of these moments of time are so real.
The damage done is incredible and heartbreaking.

As I took steps, I studied the ground.  I realized that every step I took in Battery Park City caused me to step where the dust had been.  Where destruction and death had been so profoundly thrust upon each and every one of us.  I wished to take each and every step softly and reverently.

Carol pointed out a favorite restaurant all shiny and new because the impact of the tragedy had so weakened it's structure that they had to start over.
To her it was a victory.  A restoration....not a surrender!

I looked at the new Freedom Tower.  It honestly looks like it belongs there.  It is a beautiful structure and I loved it more than I dreamed I would.  One day I want to go inside and visit the museum and memorial which has been so carefully prepared to help us understand ....and  to process our grief.

It reminds me of our hearts.
So damaged and ravaged by sin and scars of the past.

And then our Heavenly Father comes and restores us.
He builds new life.
He brings new hope.
He restores our souls.

Our hearts begin to look as if they belong....they are pleasant to behold.
A kindness and love reaches out to those around us.
Peace is found in and through us that wasn't there before.
We have new understanding for other's scars.

Where once we took so much for granted we now stop to appreciate 
what we have.

Take a minute and bring back to mind something that was life altering for you.
Can you see how He is healing you?
Can you see new life yet?

If not... ask Him for it.
He is willing, able and wants to bring restoration to your life.
For our Father makes ALL THINGS NEW.
And this is a very, very good thing.

Comments (5)

On June 17, 2014 at 7:49 AM , bananaorangeapple said...

Amazing what God can do.

 
On June 17, 2014 at 9:13 AM , Buttercup said...

Becky, so beautiful and so thankful for your friendship.

 
On June 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM , Unknown said...

It's good to stop and look at where we've come from and where we are now. It fills us with a new appreciation for God. He restores, He renews, He makes things beautiful. He is so very very good! :) Thank you, Becky, for reminding us.

 
On June 18, 2014 at 3:42 PM , Handiworkin' Girls said...

Very precious. Thank you, Becky!

 
On June 18, 2014 at 6:34 PM , the butlers pottery said...

A beautiful picture from destruction to restoration. Amazing God.