Busy.  That is how I would describe my life right now.  There is always something to do.  Church activities, homeschooling, family life, tending to my Etsy shop and from time to time I can squeeze in some house cleaning.  It seems to be the same for others. We invite people over and they have to schedule it a month in advance because their calendars are full.
Not only are our days filled with activity but they are also heavy laden with care.  Unpaid bills, uncertain jobs or health, unsaved loved ones and undesirable circumstances seem to be foremost in our minds.  We worry about our children whether they are 3 or 23 or even older.  Will they ever be potty trained?  Will they make the right decisions about their career?
Our hearts are weighed down by the cares of this life. We seek relief in many different ways. A week at the beach.  An hour at the gym. A good book or a funny TV show.  These things aren’t necessarily wrong but are they best? What exactly does God’s Word say about soothing our troubled souls?
“Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”  Luke 10:38-42

Like Martha, sometimes we become so busy with life that we forget to sit at the feet of Jesus.  We neglect to take time to worship Him, pray and meditate on His Word.  Sometimes we are oblivious to how troubled our hearts have become until we need serious help.  God promises rest for our souls.  Let us purpose to spend time at his feet, meditating on His precious promises.
“My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.” Psalm 73:26
“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.”  Matthew 11:28-29
“Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.” John 14:1
“Casting all your care upon him for he careth for you.” 1 Peter 5:7
What are your favorite verses for a weary soul?

 By Karen W of Ellie Marie Designs

Comments (5)

On May 5, 2014 at 8:05 AM , Sue Runyon said...

"... But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”

Very powerful words. Thanks so much, Karen.

 
On May 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM , the butlers pottery said...

I almost didn't read this because I was too busy!

In this live today we need this. Thanks.

 
On May 6, 2014 at 5:11 PM , sammysgrammy said...

Beautiful devotion, Karen. I do appreciate that your probably got it together, while your were in the midst of great busy-ness but you were/are guarding your heart (Proverbs 4:23). It's a beautiful to see.

 
On May 9, 2014 at 12:24 AM , Deb (Two Cheeky Monkeys) said...

What a great reminder to make Christ the centre of our life rather than being too busy for Him! I often fall into this trap and it's taken me many years to realise that there is so much to gain when I make it a priority to read God's word and pray.

 
On May 9, 2014 at 7:24 AM , luvncrafts said...

Great thoughts! Thank you for sharing