It is our pleasure to introduce Jan McCorkle of PearCreekCottage as this week's Featured Artist. Jan creates a wide variety of gifts and scrapbooking items from her home in California.

Jan has graciously offered a 10% discount for for all CAST team members who purchase $20 or more from her shop, through February 25th. Enter CASTTEAMBLOG during checkout to receive your discount.


needle felted wool lamb patty by PearCreekCottage
Needle Felted Wool Lamb

Introduction to you: I am a wife, mother and grandmother! This new Grand-mothering season of life is so much fun. I love the flexibility of working for myself, which allows for me to be available to my extended family.
I have always loved working with my hands. From a young age to the present…my hands like to be busy. I like to “practice” the verse in Proverbs 31:13…”She is always gathering wool and flax and enjoys making things with her hands.”
I’ve done a variety of crafting and creating; from knitting, crocheting, cross-stitch, quilting, rubber stamping, scrapbooking, needle felting, sewing, and mixed media art. My passion is creating with my hands. My very favorite is to create one of a kind, unique pieces that incorporate Bible verses or words of encouragement in the art and convey the personality and likes of the recipients.

green felt shamrocks st patricks day by PearCreekCottage
Green Felt Shamrocks

How did you get your start on Etsy?

I have managed and worked in retail gift shops and a crafting retailer throughout my life, so when I unexpectedly “lost” my job 3 plus years ago, I saw this as an opportunity to open up a shop on Etsy. It never ceases to amaze me how I see God’s providential hand in all of this, and His perfect timing. I truly am living a dream in owning my little shop here on Etsy.
diy chalkboard mini message boards by Pear Creek Cottage


How did you choose your shop name?
I live in an old apple orchard, with a creek running along the back property line. At one time the acreage was large with apple and pear trees, but was divided up in parcels. Pear Creek Lane is a road that borders our property, and since “Apple Creek Cottage” was already taken as a shop name on Etsy, I checked for Pear Creek Cottage, and sure enough it was available…so I officially made that my shop name.
pink and purple felt hearts by Pear Creek Cottage

What does a typical day look like for you?
I get up and have my “quiet time” with a steaming cup of coffee. After that, I check my orders that have come in and begin to process them. I try to get the orders in the mail, before our mail carrier arrives, which saves me a trip into town. I then start to work on upcoming orders for the next day/days. Often, I try to squeeze some creative time in the afternoons (not near as often as I wish), or I use that time to list new items and do social media marketing etc.
I also have opportunities to play with my granddaughter. Building with Legos, can inspire creativity for later!
hand knitted baby booties little boy blue by Pear Creek Cottage

If you could be anywhere in the world for one day, where would it be?
Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, Tennessee. I feel a kinship to the artisan community in that area. I love how it inspires creativity in me.

What is your favorite Bible verse?
Oh boy, it is hard to only pick one, as I have several that are my favorites throughout the spiritual seasons of my life.
I will have to say, Proverbs 3:5-6, and Jeremiah 29:11
red hanging bird Christmas ornament by Pear Creek Cottage

What is your favorite Etsy listing to feature?
Probably one of my favorites is any of my handmade fabric magnets or hanging ornaments like this bird:
I love how the images take on character and personalities, by adding eyes, buttons, etc.; and that is when I feel most in touch with my creativity.
www.etsy.com/listing/115270343/red-fabric-bird-hanging-birdie-ornament?r...

Where else can we find you on the Internet?
Blog: pearcreekcottage.blogspot.com/
Twitter: www.twitter.com/pearcrkcottage
Facebook: www.facebook.com/PearCreekCottage
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/PearCrkCottage/

Comments (3)

On February 19, 2014 at 2:23 PM , Cherry said...

cute stuff!

 
On February 20, 2014 at 1:11 PM , terriknorr57 said...

That's my wonderful sister! It's been a blessing to watch her grow throughout this entire process!

 
On February 20, 2014 at 5:55 PM , LBA said...

So proud of you mom! Love you! It has been neat to see how God has been using you too!